Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: stirring the pot

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the one I was going off of

Ferengi
    Rule of Acquisition
    #217 You can't free a fish from water.
    The Unwritten Rule: "When no appropriate rule applies... make one up!

Post Thanks / Like
    same here good vid
    Discus/Apistogramma Aficionado Dirt Tank Savant

Post Thanks / Like
    well im getting tired of refilling my bubble counter i use just h20 and with my high bubble count it just evaporates and works its way back into my system so i think glycerin would be out of the question but i read mineral oil dosent evaporate much and its fish safe (laxative) and a good alternative what do you guys think

im pretty sure aussiediy me and carryj are the only ones on diyfk that use co2
    ps i havent seen anything from carryj anymore what happend to her

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge
    i tryied to thin out my carpet and remove all dwarf sag and let just the chain sword take over i got more than enough to trade if anyone is interested i got to mail some out today anyway

Post Thanks / Like
    :O goodness

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Patriot Click here to enlarge
    I cant afford to use anything but dirt because it's so cheap. I do add whatever I can to the dort to make it a little better. So far so good. I add bacteria, clay, slow release ferts, peat, etc. Hopefully that will extend the life of the dirt enough. Also waste that falls will be eaten by that bacteria and converted. I usally have more peat and clay for my crypts.
    I can't wait to see your new tank!!
    Ferengi
    Rule of Acquisition

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inkbull Click here to enlarge
    well im getting tired of refilling my bubble counter i use just h20 and with my high bubble count it just evaporates and works its way back into my system so i think glycerin would be out of the question but i read mineral oil dosent evaporate much and its fish safe (laxative) and a good alternative what do you guys think

im pretty sure aussiediy me and carryj are the only ones on diyfk that use co2
    ps i havent seen anything from carryj anymore what happend to her
    anybody got an opinion on buble counter liquid and where is careyj

Post Thanks / Like
    anybody got an opinion on buble counter liquid and where is careyj
    Mineral Oil or glycerin. Glycerin might cause a tendency to foam. I've heard of veg oil but it would turn rancid after awhile and would need replacement more often. I think any oil has a potential of causing a film on the top of your water and may cause a oxygen problem. Distilled water is the probable the safest thing but it will evaporate. Once the system is tuned in will it really change that much where you need to see bubbles all the time or just once in awhile?

Would a drop checker help you more to see what the tank levels are?
    Ferengi
    Rule of Acquisition

Post Thanks / Like
    i dont use a controller i use intuition and a drop checker but i evaporate water out my bubble counter like mad and want an alternative that will last longer i may have to gibe the mineral oil a try

Post Thanks / Like
    I know I'm probably going to have to break down and go pressurized CO2 on my big tank. Its pretty much inevitable.
    Look here for why you shouldn't buy styrofoam for your DIY background

My 200 gal starfire project

Post Thanks / Like
    if you use a bubble-counter with an airlock on it this stops the water siphoning in, it shouldn't evaporate ether

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by thelub Click here to enlarge
    I know I'm probably going to have to break down and go pressurized CO2 on my big tank. Its pretty much inevitable.
    Most likely the best decision in the end. At least you will get constant Co2.

Post Thanks / Like
    I totally missed this, lol. Good argument. I"m curious as to where I fall with CO2, quad T5HO with moonlight and timer, Eco-Complete, and dry ferts? lol
    Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will be strong to live as well as think.

100 gallon planted with a 55 gallon refugium.

Post Thanks / Like
    and I"m not sure if it was mentioned anywhere in this thread, but unless there is light, the plants aren't consuming CO2, so if you're doing pressurized CO2 setup, get one with a solonoid and get a basic plug timer, so that way you get more life out of your CO2 tank Click here to enlarge
    Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will be strong to live as well as think.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's as easy as pie!!!!Click here to enlarge

Ferengi
    Rule of Acquisition

Post Thanks / Like
    funny ha ha

Post Thanks / Like
    ROFL OMG that is so funny! Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Lmao, excellent portrayal

Post Thanks / Like
    so back on this subject i wanna talk about my recent success reproducing plants expecially swords ive kept swords in the same tank i got dirted now same lights and all for a year on top of tons of root-tabs substrate was a mix of ecocomplete, sand and pea gravel never once in that hole year did one sword mother now using dirt clay and osmocoat n the like everthing is sending ut new runners with baby swords growing from them it took about 6-8 weeks after converting my 46gal bowfront to dirt before boom tons of sword babys saplings watever

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like that mix we put together did the trick!

Post Thanks / Like
    im getting babys from just clay mgocpm and osmocoat plus in my 46 im spacifically refrencing but i got my first flowes out the mix you helped put together and a flame sword mothered in that dirt mix

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, the dirt discussion.. How did I miss this?

The reason I don't use dirt - is.. Well... It's dirty

Funny, right? HA

It's true. I don't like it; to me personally it does not look as nice. People can preach and go on and hoop and roar all they want about their miracle methods.

To me, if I like someone's tank - I want to know what they do to achieve that goal. I want to know exactly how they have done what they did to be successful. As most of you know, there is more than one way to skin a cat. I think you all have seen my planted tank - there is no dirt in there, nor has there ever been.

Planted tank success relies on three things, people can make it as complicated as they want and use big words - but in reality that just scares people away from the hobby. Those three things are light - nutrients - carbon. As long as you have a BALANCE between these three things it will be successful as long as you keep the plants needs in mind (ie; no high light requirement plants in low light tanks).

It's really not that complicated. If I can do it; so can anyone else.
    She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like
    i have seen your tank and it is beautiful in your case if i recall you rescape it here and their that wouldn't be much fun in a dirt tank for sure I've done it its normally followed in adding more cap and a large wc i i do feel commercial substrates are not the optimal growth medium one anything i put in dirt does not get nor need liquid ferts which i feel are a bad place (the water column) to make nutrients available i just feel and this is based on experience with ecocomplete and sechem florite its harder to achieve a balance then throw in how stuff has been reproducing in dirt i feel the benefits outweigh the downfalls

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a lot of plants that feed off the water column more than the roots. For optimal growth you should make sure you have a good balance of nutrients in both the water and the soil. Going dirt isn't the preferred method and there are more beautiful non-dirted planted tanks than dirted. My #1 reason for going dirt is it is a vastly cheaper option than most commercial planting substrates. And cheap is my middle name Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Different strokes for different folks.
    She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a dirt tank person as well. It is dirty, but it is the easiest way to get a balance of nutrients for plants IMO. Especially heavy root feeders like swords. I would rather use dirt than constantly spend money on ferts, root tabs etc.
    Bow Down to Washington

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought 21$ worth of bulk ferts two years ago... I still have about half left.
    She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like
    And I spent $5 on a bag of dirt.
    Bow Down to Washington

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you're missing the point... You said "constantly spend money"... I was making a point I bought ferts two years ago, and have enough for two more years. Purchasing something every few years isn't a big hassle, especially when it's that cheap.
    She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like
    so back on this subject i wanna talk about my recent success reproducing plants expecially swords ive kept swords in the same tank i got dirted now same lights and all for a year on top of tons of root-tabs substrate was a mix of ecocomplete, sand and pea gravel never once in that hole year did one sword mother now using dirt clay and osmocoat n the like everthing is sending ut new runners with baby swords growing from them it took about 6-8 weeks after converting my 46gal bowfront to dirt before boom tons of sword babys saplings watever
    Sweet!!! So how long do you think the dirt mix will last before it burns out??

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by carriej Click here to enlarge
    Ah, the dirt discussion.. How did I miss this?

The reason I don't use dirt - is.. Well... It's dirty

Funny, right? HA

It's true. I don't like it; to me personally it does not look as nice. People can preach and go on and hoop and roar all they want about their miracle methods.

To me, if I like someone's tank - I want to know what they do to achieve that goal. I want to know exactly how they have done what they did to be successful. As most of you know, there is more than one way to skin a cat. I think you all have seen my planted tank - there is no dirt in there, nor has there ever been.

Planted tank success relies on three things, people can make it as complicated as they want and use big words - but in reality that just scares people away from the hobby. Those three things are light - nutrients - carbon. As long as you have a BALANCE between these three things it will be successful as long as you keep the plants needs in mind (ie; no high light requirement plants in low light tanks).

It's really not that complicated. If I can do it; so can anyone else.
    But where so dirty minded!! Click here to enlarge You never made mud pies as a kid and tried to get the neighbor kid to eat it. lol I think of it like this, its Natural and it not that bad!! Yes you are right Balance is the key!!!! If I had enough money to make a Greenmachine tank in a ADA style I would probable try my hand at a Aqua scaping, but I don't so for now I will just stick with the diy dirt. I don't think I've seen your tanks, post some pictures thanks.

The best thing about a planted tanks is you don't have to worry about watering them all the time!!!Click here to enlarge
    Ferengi
    Rule of Acquisition

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast