Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: stirring the pot

Post Thanks / Like
    Carrie you are right if you know how to shop they can last a while. I just prefer the lack of tinkering needed with my dirt tanks. Everything grows nice and I do very little. In my one planted tank without dirt I am having to add ferts root tabs etc. my dirt tanks are still out growing my non dirt tank. For my needs I will go dirt for any of my planted tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Bow Down to Washington

Post Thanks / Like
    i plant to never replace my dirt i feel threw diy root tabs mixed with anything fertz, clay ,and even more dirt should make it indefinitely i do feel in my case having high tech dirt tanks loaded with swords i feel i deplete the dirt much faster that most
    Discus/Apistogramma Aficionado Dirt Tank Savant

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm adding these threads to this thread. I can't find them when I want them. lol Also I wish this tread was made into a sticky thread too

My 110 gallon build log

Awesome dirt tips from the dirt godess herself

inkbull's dirt masterpiece 120gal display

http://diyfishkeepers.com/forum/foru...nted-aquariums
    Ferengi
    Rule of Acquisition
    #217 You can't free a fish from water.
    The Unwritten Rule: "When no appropriate rule applies... make one up!

Post Thanks / Like
    I will not sticky a dirty thread.

Click here to enlarge
    She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like
    Loving the debateClick here to enlarge Now you got me hooked or curious. I am going to plant half in some kind of dirt and half not. I have this potting soil from Miracle Grow that I use for my houseplants. It is the most awesome stuff in the world. It is unbelieveable how my house plants grow, even this time of year. Now my daughter in law says they have become invasive weeds. They literally cover half my entire deskClick here to enlarge)) But, they are gorgeous.

So, my question is, can I use that Miracle Grow dirt stuff? It does have fertilizer in it...kind of a time released stuff. It says it is good for 6 months but I have plants that have been in the same pot for well over a year still going strong without additional fertilizer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and I don't want to be stupidClick here to enlarge)) LOL.......just half stupid....*grins*

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you ever hear of using hydrogen peroxide to kill algae?

Post Thanks / Like
    i got a buddy who tried hydrogen peroxide i for get what happend i think a mini cycle sick discus but whatever it was i wouldnt try it but it does work then on your dirt question i depends on the dirt and it also depends on how long your willing to wait b4 you put fish in

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by carriej Click here to enlarge
    I will not sticky a dirty thread.

Click here to enlarge
    What if we said Please!!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Hanna Click here to enlarge
    Did you ever hear of using hydrogen peroxide to kill algae?
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inkbull Click here to enlarge
    i got a buddy who tried hydrogen peroxide i for get what happend i think a mini cycle sick discus but whatever it was i wouldnt try it but it does work then on your dirt question i depends on the dirt and it also depends on how long your willing to wait b4 you put fish in
    This is what I seen and tried. It dose work some what just don't get carried away I use it mostly at water changes on exposed glass, overflow box, spray bar, and anything that is just algae. haven't lost any fish or plants except algae and BBA too.

Ferengi
    Rule of Acquisition

Post Thanks / Like
    started looking for fertilizer on this site, found this, reading the first few sentences, ... and i'm going wow, someone is onto something, rant or not.

now to continue reading and see what comes up Click here to enlarge

---

not to derail the original topic, looking for (less DIY) hydroponic fertilizers that are hopefully aquarium safe

sometimes distractions from the original search are more informative than stubbornly sticking with the original search

i just like where this started "people thinking CO2, root tabs, & light are all that's needed", ... i agree, it's an ignorant place to think this is the miracle answer to everything.

i'm less than an expert but unless you know what the upper limits of light & fertilizer & CO2 are, whatever you are doing to raise one without knowing what the upper limits are, and the (different) upper limits when everything else is raised to peek values, ... your going to be doing everything a disservice, ... or you're wasting your money, ... but people like to do that it seems (waste money)

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot how this even started!! LOLClick here to enlarge Oh Inkbull's Dirty mind!!!Click here to enlarge
    Ferengi
    Rule of Acquisition

Post Thanks / Like
    dosing fertz in the water column is silly its putting the nutrients in a location that is hard for the plants to absorb and easy for the algae to take advantage of

Post Thanks / Like
    a lot of things are ... done because that's how it's always done, because that's how it's done.

dosing ferts, ... everything highly soluble, ... and for aquariums sold in liquid form ... so your paying for some really expensive water.

Post Thanks / Like
    dustin said he was told from seachem plants absorb 4 to 400 times more nutrients threw their root than they do their leaves

Post Thanks / Like
    from a company that sells water dosing fertilizers for aquariums, ... mentioning 4x - 400x nutrients through roots vs. leaves

i like the honestly, ... but it's still selling snake oil

and from another guy on the net who's keeping a diary of sorts of what he's been going through ...
    what (to me) sounds like 3x the dosing of what is recommended by seachem of their own product to get phytoplankton to bloom (desired)

this is why i hate buying liquid fertilizers, a waste of money.

and every road i'm pursuing suggests more and more, setting up a planted aquarium requires planning ahead of time, ... as once you add water & plants you are stuck with whatever you got.

suppliments are proving to be very ... any suppliments that are water soluble are being flushed down the drain with every water change, ... once more, ... that tiny bottle of liquid fertilizer is becoming insanely expensive, ...

ink, as you heard, and even then it's not very effective Click here to enlarge

---

still one kind of water that is more expensive Click here to enlarge
    printer ink Click here to enlarge

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123