Thread: i cant figure out if my new betta is a male or female. :X mixed reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Question i cant figure out if my new betta is a male or female. :X mixed reviews.

so my new smaller blue betta i was sold as a delta tail is giving me confusing vibes.

it acts completely different than my CT, it flares but has no beard, doesnt really wag its tail like the CT male does and assumes a feminine trait "head down position" when the CT approaches him flared at the divider.

from what ive researched females dont normally have a gill beard and their ventral fins are shorter. also longer finned females are more common as the breed continues to advance due to selective breeding for HM bettas.

females also have a white "egg spot" or oviposter that is on the underside between the ventral and anal fins but this betta has a whiteish body, ill post pics at the bottom of the post.

ive also read that males can have a feux oviposter and a small beard but normally males will flare the beard when they flare their gills. I know males can have shorter fins, like a plakat betta, but i have also seen females with the same length fins as a plakat male.

since i was so confounded i ended up putting the "it" betta in a betta clear cup to float in the CT males side of the 20glong and the CT immediately left the one in the cup after flaring strenuously for a couple minutes then built a full bubble nest within the next hour.

does anyone else see why i am so confused?

the suspected long finned female does a lot of resting on plants, less flaring than the ct BUT it makes a small bubble nest occasionally?
    which i've read can happen, since female bettas also have the labyrinth organ and the ability to produce mucus for bubble nests.

please help me. lol. im so confused. i wish i hadnt even noticed the behavior, so much for being attentive.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

ive seen a few HM females look like this, its seems almost like a female rosetail? but i would be surprised if a LFS had one of those, but it could also be a delta tail male, i just would think that the ventral fins would be longer and there would be a gill beard.

Post Thanks / Like
    That has to be a male, but what do I no!! Sorry not much help!
    Ferengi
    Rule of Acquisition
    #217 You can't free a fish from water.
    The Unwritten Rule: "When no appropriate rule applies... make one up!

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL its o! i bought it as a male i just noticed that it didnt have a beard, and then i couldnt find anything about males that didnt have beard gill things. ugh BETTAS. my bf gives me so much crap for these guys but hey. i can't help myself :[

maybe hes hiding his gilly beard to pretend to be a female tricky little bugger

and what makes it really confusing is if you go on aquabid some of the female HM look like this, and if you google female rosetail betta tey look like this. so i just ill just have to wait and see with time

Post Thanks / Like
    it could be a late bloomer male i had one
    but it is not a delta

Post Thanks / Like
    it's a gender confused fish LOL!Click here to enlarge
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    ok so shew, my bf picked me up 2 more bettas because im obsessed and i want fishtanks 360 degrees around me 24/7 apparently.... jk jk jk but once he brought the 2 new ones home i took the DEFINITELY female one and put it up to his tank and he freaking flared his gills for the first time. go figure it just needed a little.....encouragement.

so this is definitely a male now forsure 100% but i have no idea what kind he is?

and fishlady i thought deltas were anything that had a tail that flared small at the base to wider at the ends without round edges?

i know that there are:
    Veil Tail
    Spade Tail
    Round Tail
    delta tail
    super delta
    double tail mixes
    crowntail
    combtail
    half moon
    overHM- rosetail
    halfsun

but him being male i have no clue what he would be under, i was thinking delta was the best fit of the choices?

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by peaceypea Click here to enlarge
    ok so shew, my bf picked me up 2 more bettas because im obsessed and i want fishtanks 360 degrees around me 24/7 apparently.... jk jk jk but once he brought the 2 new ones home i took the DEFINITELY female one and put it up to his tank and he freaking flared his gills for the first time. go figure it just needed a little.....encouragement.

so this is definitely a male now forsure 100% but i have no idea what kind he is?

and fishlady i thought deltas were anything that had a tail that flared small at the base to wider at the ends without round edges?

i know that there are:
    Veil Tail
    Spade Tail
    Round Tail
    delta tail
    super delta
    double tail mixes
    crowntail
    combtail
    half moon
    overHM- rosetail
    halfsun

but him being male i have no clue what he would be under, i was thinking delta was the best fit of the choices?

He looks like a Crowntail/halfmoon cross to me, but I'm no expert.

Post Thanks / Like
    To tell if Bettas are Male or Females at young age is actually quite simple. Look at the base of the betta, if there is a white spot underneath them it's female.

DIYFK member fishyman65712-lite's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ConfidentialSin Click here to enlarge
    To tell if Bettas are Male or Females at young age is actually quite simple. Look at the base of the betta, if there is a white spot underneath them it's female.
    yep you can clearly see if it has a egg spot. no mistaking it. to me it looks like a male also, definitely not a female.

Post Thanks / Like
    male all the way with that one