ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turtle Basking Dock/Ramp DIY Build

Post Thanks / Like

Turtle Basking Dock/Ramp DIY Build

Hello everyone,

As many of you know, I am not really skilled when it comes to DIY. I am great at trying though haha.
    I have two turtles that I took in from customers when I worked at Animal Essentials. The male is fine with his dock, but the female rips her docks off the tank.
    I have tried the zoomed large turtle dock, but several times a day I need to put it back on. I tried an acrylic ramp, but she ripped that off as well. I have pictures of the two things. I was debating about just siliconing (pretend that is a word) the acrylic ramp to the tank, but I would have to have the turtle out of the tank for awhile so it could dry. She is in a 70 gallon tank that is 16 inches wide. If anyone has any ideas on what I can do for an easy ramp that will say for her that would be great. I live in an apartment and do not have the tools to make one myself really. I was also debating getting some glass cut for myself and making a ramp that does not suction to the side of the tank.
    I am hoping someone on here can help me with ideas. Thanks
    -Tom

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Support your local fish store or you will not have one!

Post Thanks / Like
    If the water is as shallow as it seems in the picture, you can easily go to a pond store and pick up some flat sandstone or slate real cheap and make the ramp and basking area. The turts will not be able to move the rock and you'll have a natural basking spot for them. You could make the whole thing with 3-4 small pieces depending on your construction. A local koi pond place near me charges like 12 cents a pound (not sure what that would be in Canadian money).

If you choose to fill the tank higher, you could make an above the tank basking area out of a sheet of acrylic using Joey's method for bending acrylic (torch) but I'm not sure if that's as affordable for you.
    210-gallon FW tank for a Cooter, 5 discus & guppies. 100G tank for a Black Moor and awaiting Golden Threads. 78G FW for Diamondback Terrapin, goldfish and ghost shrimp. Plus I have 800G pond for koi, plants and my turts.

Post Thanks / Like
    The water is about 14-16 inches deep. I don't think a rock will work too well.
    I have no way of designing an out of tank basking area or I would haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    here's a awesome setup check out his channel!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/BauriBob?feature=watch
    Ferengi
    Rule of Acquisition
    #217 You can't free a fish from water.
    The Unwritten Rule: "When no appropriate rule applies... make one up!

Post Thanks / Like
    When I had my turtle, I used the turtle topper, it's very sturdy and the turtle loved it.

Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    You'd be surprised how long sandstone and slate can be, I built on for water 20 inches high once.
    210-gallon FW tank for a Cooter, 5 discus & guppies. 100G tank for a Black Moor and awaiting Golden Threads. 78G FW for Diamondback Terrapin, goldfish and ghost shrimp. Plus I have 800G pond for koi, plants and my turts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rock-I would be afraid of cracking glass over that one and weight.
    Turtle Topper-looks to small from what I saw on eBay. It would not fit the tank.
    Great Video!

I think I may do a PVC thing like in the video, but put egg crate in the center of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by komodo182 Click here to enlarge
    Rock-I would be afraid of cracking glass over that one and weight.
    Turtle Topper-looks to small from what I saw on eBay. It would not fit the tank.
    Great Video!

I think I may do a PVC thing like in the video, but put egg crate in the center of it.
    I think the turtle topper is for 55 gal tanks
    Ferengi
    Rule of Acquisition

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RBrown Click here to enlarge
    I think the turtle topper is for 55 gal tanks
    It is. my tank is larger than a 55.
    I think I will be trying to build something tomorrow thanks to that video

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to agree that the PVC Pipe platform might be your best bet. maybe just try suctioncup it to the glass as well and see what happens.
    110L Turtle tank with 1 Red Eared Slider named Speedy. (Soon to be 400L tank!)
    130L Fish tank with 7 Neon Tetras, 4 Clown Loaches and 1 Bristlenose Pleco.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by komodo182 Click here to enlarge
    It is. my tank is larger than a 55.
    I think I will be trying to build something tomorrow thanks to that video
    I fit mine on a 75 gallon by using one of the glass pieces from the glass lid. You fit one end on the trim frame and the other on the glass lid, a nice fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidNZ Click here to enlarge
    I have to agree that the PVC Pipe platform might be your best bet. maybe just try suctioncup it to the glass as well and see what happens.
    I plan on adding some gravel from the tank into the PVC legs to make it stay still a little better

Post Thanks / Like
    I finished the project tonight and will have a video later on tonight for the first part

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my first video. Just an introduction really.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the second part of the video. Cutting the Egg Crate. With my DIYFISHKEEPERS HOODIE

Post Thanks / Like
    Part 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Just so you know when I tried to use egg crate for my turtle, his claws kept getting stuck in the holes. You might want to cover it with something.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it would be more of an issue with smaller male turtles. I was debating about it for the female dock, but I am going to hold off. Its been a day so far, no issues yet, but it is something I am watching just in case.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have some mesh that I will probably use for the male dock when I am make it. His nails are long and he has smaller "feet"

Post Thanks / Like
    The fourth video of the dock. It is taking shape now.

Post Thanks / Like
    The ramp is in the tank now

Post Thanks / Like
    turtle power tom !!! nice project and thanx for sharing mate and go speedy Click here to enlarge
    [IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks.
    I've played around with it a bit since this video, so there is at least one more video for it. Even after that, I played some more, but I have not made a new video of that. I want to play around a bit more first!

Post Thanks / Like
    Update on the Dock

Post Thanks / Like
    Well that turn out nice!!Click here to enlarge
    Ferengi
    Rule of Acquisition

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't want to be a downer but I have to point out some things regarding the care of your slider: I think it's great you built this DIY ramp, and it shows you care about your turt. A couple things concern me: The gravel is a big problem. While you may not have had trouble yet, it's inevitable that your slider will swallow rocks that small, and you are looking at impacting his intestines and he'll die or you'll have a hefty vet bill on your hands. Also, turtles, especially sliders, need 10 gallons per inch and judging from the size of that little guy he seems to be cramped in that setup. And finally, there really hasn't been a true determination if bamboo is bad for turts, but what is bad is Dracaena Sanderia, which a lot if people mistake for bamboo, so please be sure you have real bamboo, and even then, if it's not necessary, you should consider losing it.

Just wanted to be sure you knew these things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great video's I learned a lot. Click here to enlarge
    10 Gal - Honey Gold Gourami, Picuts Catfish
    10 Gal - 42 Red Cherry Shrimp, 8 Neons
    40 Gal - 3 Northern Diamondback Terrapin's, 6 Black Phantom Tetra, 3 Blue Gourami's, 3 Green Severum
    55 Gal - 6 Electric Yellow labs, 1 Electric Blue Johanni, 2 Red Tops, 2 Red Zebra's, 1 Reef Cichlid

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info Willhopp, unfortunately, that is about the largest tank I am allowed on the third floor (70 gallon). My landlord limits me to 300 gallons worth of tanks unfortunately. You should have seen the tank I rescued her from if you think she is cramped now. My male turtle was in a 10 gallon before I rescued him. So the female went from a 20 gallon to a 70 gallon and the male went from a 10 gallon to a 60 gallon. Once I end up in a house with a basement, few years from now, she will have a better setup and so will the male(The male is very anti social and tries to harm the female, so they can't be housed together). However, I feel her life is better than the threat of being released into the wild if someone would not take her (which is how the original owner convinced me to take her awhile back). As for the rocks, I will keep an eye on that and same goes for the plants. Both turtles do get out of their tanks when I let them for a supervisor walk in the apartment.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, just making sure you were aware. The thing that struck me was how large you built the dock, it literally cut the tank in half, if it were narrower the turtle could swim on the other side as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    The turtle can swim right under it sio she loses very little space under water and gains more space on land. That is why one leg of the dock is in a different spot in the back so it makes the gap about 9-10 inches for her to swim between instead of about 6 inches. So does lose some space due to the PVC pipes and the ramp. However, she moved the driftwood off the ramp and can swim under the ramp now too. Not sure if I am going to keep it that way or not. Time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast