ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: March 2013 Project of the Month

Post Thanks / Like

March 2013 Project of the Month

Ahoy Members,

Welcome to the first Project of the Month competition. Click here to enlarge

This competition is based on anything D.I.Y that is performed only by your hand. The competition Terms & Conditions are as follows;

1. The project must be your own and not of anyone else including anyone you have helped.
    2. The project must be a single project, that is, no multiple projects.
    3. You can enter in any form, e.g, by document, photo or video. No links to other forums, it is preferred to submit through this thread so we have a better understanding of your DIY project.Photo's must not be more than 800pixles wide and 600pixels high. Video's must not contain foul or obscene language. Remember, this is a family website.
    4. Your DIY project can only ever be submitted once in this competition. So think carefully about what you want to submit.
    5. You have the right to change your mind about submitted entries provided the request to remove the entry is made before voting.
    6. Your DIY project can be anything related to DIY. It doesn't have to be aquarium related unless specified by the competition of the month.
    7. You can enter a DIY project that is attached to a previous entry however must have a different function. E.g. Overflow entry that is used in a sump filter entry.
    8. Entries will be monitored closely. Any breach in the terms will result in a disqualification.
    9. Rules may change at any time.
    10. Prizes will be determined by popularity of the competition. At present the winner will be announced and receive bragging rights for the month Click here to enlarge
    11. You can submit a project from any time period(but it has to be on the forum somewhere that you previously posted)

So lets' kick of March with a bang people. Show us what you got!
    You will have until March 23rd to get your entries submitted.

Competition Specifics: *Nil, Anything D.I.Y. Related.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can we submit a project, lets say, from a couple months ago? or does the project have to be started/finished in march? do you get what i mean?

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fiesta90150 Click here to enlarge
    Can we submit a project, lets say, from a couple months ago? or does the project have to be started/finished in march? do you get what i mean?

Yup! You can submit a project from any time period.

You can only enter it once though.

It also has to be on the forum somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    If this is my first time on diyfishkeepers and have never posted anything on here anywhere I can't enter

Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody entered yet?

Just got to post a link to a project you are working on or is completed.....

simple as that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by himie1969 Click here to enlarge
    If this is my first time on diyfishkeepers and have never posted anything on here anywhere I can't enter
    You have time to post something on here for sure, if you can't manage to get in by the 15 posts then definitely as Joey suggested, just link to another personal site or other that has your project up.

Post Thanks / Like
    cool i'll be posting my temperature controller project =)

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    My entry starts on the second page of this thread. It will be all posted by the end of the month on youtube. Probably the end of the week.

http://www.diyfishkeepers.com/forum/...sking-Question
    Support your local fish store or you will not have one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All,

good idea, and as well a good education for newcomers

Regards,

Joerg

Post Thanks / Like

My DIY acrylic basking platform

Click here to enlarge

Here is my entry (you can see it in its final position on my posts from last month here); it's an acrylic basking platform inspired by Joey's video he made for bending acrylic with a hand torch.

Click here to enlarge

I went to my local Curbells Plastics shop and got a remnant of quarter-inch acrylic for less than $25. It was 48x36 (inches). I used a table saw to make the necessary cuts, then heated the acrylic with a hand torch, bent over a carpenter's square. I then turned the piece over and heated the top of the ramp where it meets the platform till it bent to the correct angle for the ramp.

I then bought one 12x12 tile from my local hardware store for like $5, the kind that's made up from little smaller tiles (or in this case, mini bricks), and I cut the strips apart so I could separate them further, allowing my turtle's claws and nails to grip them better on the ramp. I had some leftover silicone from the tank build and siliconed them to the ramp (yes, silicone works fine on acrylic for something this light, not for sealing watertight walls of aquariums).

Click here to enlarge

The final piece was a welcome mat cut to size so that the turtle will have a grippy comfortable durable waterproof pad to bask on, plus it protects the acrylic. It works perfect and the turtle gets up and down it very easily. I also used a floor flange and a ceiling fan downrod to hang the basking lights above the platform.
    210-gallon FW tank for a Cooter, 5 discus & guppies. 100G tank for a Black Moor and awaiting Golden Threads. 78G FW for Diamondback Terrapin, goldfish and ghost shrimp. Plus I have 800G pond for koi, plants and my turts.

Post Thanks / Like

Entry for March 2013 Project of the Month

March 2013 Project of the Month

I am submitting my 75 Gal DIY tank build currently located in the DIY Stands/Canopys section under My Stand!!

http://www.diyfishkeepers.com/forum/showthread.php?7115-My-Stand!!

Post Thanks / Like

New tank for my son

I am building my son a tank that will look like a lighthouse when I am done, I hope.
    The tank will be 5 feet 4 inches tall, and 2 feet 6 inches across the base.
    The tank itself will hold about 20 gallons of water.

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember people, you really want to sell your project, the more detail you provide the better your chances of winning. All members on this forum will be judging the best project presented.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://diyfishkeepers.com/forum/show...n-plywood-tank

I know it's not finished yet but I figured you get a good idea, of the build. and here is a video which shows some of the tank as well.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    2 Days left to get in your entries!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, why not my project? Click here to enlarge

The final result looks like this:

Click here to enlarge

I have done the stand and it was my first serious carpentry work. It turned out to be rock-solid and with me on top (~95kg Click here to enlarge) it doesn't even squeak. More pictures and description can be found here:

http://www.diyfishkeepers.com/forum/...Y-stand-(300L)

Also, under the tank is one of two DIY filters that I have build so far. It is acrylic tube filled with K1 helixes. If needed the filter can be changed into sand bed FBF. may actually try it soon. More details of the idea to be found here:

http://www.diyfishkeepers.com/forum/...anister-Filter