ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First ever DIY stand

Post Thanks / Like
    man you could park a tractor trailer unit on that stand LOL!Click here to enlarge
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol! Yeah so far I've used over 2lbs if screws which is roughly 200 is guess. I just started putting the 3/4" MDF around it. I only see one downfall so far. This thing already weighs over 100lbs lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Only update I have is that the stand is ready for paint, and I've decided to scrap a canopy and just do a glass lid

Post Thanks / Like
    I used 2x2s to build my canopy. Used a table saw to rip indentions in it so it will slide over the edges of the aquarium and I can still use my glass lids. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have access to a stable saw I have lowes cut my 2x4's for me

Post Thanks / Like
    you could ask to see if they could cut out the notches in the wood. It'd be worth a try, just be very about the pieces that you pick up for cutting becuase most mills do a lousy job on cutting the 2x2's. Ask them to cut out a 3/4 inch indention all the way down, and you'll be able to get it to sit on the edge of the aquarium. Also be careful about your measurements, because it's rather critical. When I designed mine I purposefully did the back support above the lids about 4 inches over the back so I could have room for filter piping coming off the back. If you'd like, I can take some detailed pics and post them on this thread so you can get an idea. I did mine on my 75 gallon aquarium, which is only 6 inches deeper than a 55
    Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will be strong to live as well as think.

100 gallon planted with a 55 gallon refugium.

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand how exact all measurements need to be. And if you want to post pics go right ahead I'd live to see them but I'm still not gonna do a canopy anymore. After I decided not to do one my woman agreed and now she wouldn't let me if I tried lol. We need that extra money for other things...like fish Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12