ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First ever DIY stand

Post Thanks / Like

First ever DIY stand

Hello, this weekend in going to start building my DIY stand for my 55g tank. It will be a while before I can finish it due to money but hopefully within the next month. So far I've purchased and cut all the 2x4's along with handles hinges silicone wood putty and primer. Wish me luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    no luck needed, take your time and make sure everything is square and level and you will be fine.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Divinehammer Click here to enlarge
    no luck needed, take your time and make sure everything is square and level and you will be fine.
    What he said..

Recommend not leaving the wood lying around too long, I start building the frame as soon as I get done cutting the wood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Divinehammer Click here to enlarge
    ^ +2

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone Click here to enlarge I do plan on taking my time and doing it right. I'm gonna start putting the frame together tomorrow morning I only haven't yet because I had to go to work. And to ensure everything fit i meticulously measured and drew out my plans and measured everything quite a few times before cutting. It's a bit overkill but ahod be strong enough to hold much much more than the tank and canopy.

Question tho with the canopy. When using 1x2's for the frame how do you make it so the glass tops will open? While designing I noticed the frame will cover the glass 1/4" on each side. I may have to make a rabbit joint and push the edges out just a tad

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Colorblizzle Click here to enlarge
    Question tho with the canopy. When using 1x2's for the frame how do you make it so the glass tops will open? While designing I noticed the frame will cover the glass 1/4" on each side. I may have to make a rabbit joint and push the edges out just a tad
    My understanding with canopy is you wouldn't use any glass tops, just the canopy so it's always open but the canopy would be closed.

Post Thanks / Like
    what kracken said, usually tanks are open top if you have a canopy. I have jumping fish (namely a flame hawk) and an eel (which are notorious escape artists) and have never had a problem losing a fish or eel escaping with an open top tank with a canopy. I have heard of fish jumping and landing on top of a light fixture and, well, cooking. But i havent experienced that yet. If you want to still use the glass tops, maybe you could build the top out of 1/2 or 3/4" plywood to give you the space needed to open the glass?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 2 reasons why I want a glass top. 1, in afraid if my light fixture falling into the water :/ in gonna use a 48" shop light hanging about 9" above the tank. And 2, evaporation with the light fixture it will add even more evaporation and the canopy will be painted in the inside with oil primer so I'm not too worried about the wood but just the humidity n such in the light itself. In planning on leaving the back open but that's it. And I know some people will put computer fans in the canopies but that's not something in comfortable since I have little to none electrical experience

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm planning in the canopies to be about 15" tall maybe closer to 12" but no less than that I need room to work In There

Post Thanks / Like
    I just finished a canopy with an 'open back' and the light fixture stays completely dry. I'm sure if I closed off the back and kept the tank heater running it would probably fry the fixture, but with the entire back allowing air flow, I haven't seen any signs of condensation anywhere at all. Have a look:
    http://diyfishkeepers.com/forum/show...nopy-(90-gal-)
    "True knowledge is knowing you know nothing at all." -Socrates

Photo Library:
    http://s1300.beta.photobucket.com/us...an666/library/

Post Thanks / Like
    the only thing you really have to worry about is splashing from the air bubblers and occasional fish jumping, I ran a light fixture in 2 of my canopies and never had a problem with moisture getting in the light just on the bulb had it 5" above the water, I left the back of the canopy open for ventilation and to allow for my filters to hang on the back of the tank. if you want to run glass lids, I would suggest using 1x1/2" pieces and make your frame so it sits on top of the tank frame without blocking where the glass sits, one method I have seen is to use 1x6" to build the canopy box and just use small blocks to sit on top of the tank to hold the box on the top of the tank.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's an interesting scenario, what's the rule of thumb for having lights inside the canopy and having a big fat arowana jumping upwards, are there any ways to secure lights?

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kracken Click here to enlarge
    That's an interesting scenario, what's the rule of thumb for having lights inside the canopy and having a big fat arowana jumping upwards, are there any ways to secure lights?
    put a plastic shield below the lights so the Arow can't hit them, also acts as a splash shield for the light fixture. and pray it doesn't knock your canopy off the tank LOL!Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    post us some pictures when you get going

Post Thanks / Like
    I've only taken one pic so far but I built the bottom and too of the f tame today gonna start working in the rest tomorrow I tried uploading pictures but don't know how. I created a photobucket account but still don't know how to get to them from the forum :/ also your canopy looks good maxman. In also leaving my back open. Thought of another concern but don't know if I should worry, I'm wrapping my stand and canopy in 3/4" MDF. Is my canopy gonna be too heavy? What I mean is will my tank he able to support it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Colorblizzle Click here to enlarge
    I've only taken one pic so far but I built the bottom and too of the f tame today gonna start working in the rest tomorrow I tried uploading pictures but don't know how. I created a photobucket account but still don't know how to get to them from the forum :/ also your canopy looks good maxman. In also leaving my back open. Thought of another concern but don't know if I should worry, I'm wrapping my stand and canopy in 3/4" MDF. Is my canopy gonna be too heavy? What I mean is will my tank he able to support it?
    don't use MDF for the canopy it will wick water right into it and turn to mush on you, plywood is what you need to use, no mater how much sealer or paint you use on MDF it will never be fully sealed it's just to porous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I've already paid for and cut the MDF bin priming it as we speak. I'm doing 2 coats of kilz oil base primer then painting it with marine paint meant for boats. At least 3 coats. I think it will be fine. But will my tnk hold the weight?

Post Thanks / Like
    I should probably clarify...I've already bought the MDF for the stand. Not for the canopy. I may rethink things for the canopy but I don't want to use plywood I don't like it for anything never have

Post Thanks / Like
    you can also use solid wood to make the canopy, it's done all the time and yes the tank will hold the weight just fine. most of us build a light weight frame and then wrap it in plywood, but a solid wood box type canopy will work just fine, have seen many good examples of that design, and yes I believe it looks a lot better than using plywood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Solid wood? As in putting 1x2's next to eachother or something? My friend said she wrapped her stand in 1/4 wood paneling I might look into that

Post Thanks / Like
    yes solid wood like 1x12" or some thing like that, shelving boards work perfect for it, and if you have access to a table saw makes the job easy to cut them to size lengthwise or rip them down.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have access or the money to rent one. I've been having lowes do all my cutting

Post Thanks / Like
    well you can make a plan of what you need and have them make the cuts for you, I have a table saw myself but I let the guys at the Home Depot to cut my plywood up for my 240 plywood tank, was just so much easier that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah much easier if they do it. Tomorrow I'm planning in finishing my stand minus painting it and I need to return my door hinges because they won't work. They are design for 1/2" thick doors and with mine being 3/4" in gonna have to look for some that mount on the inside of the door

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I figured out how to post pictures but my phone keeps switching back to the mobile view, anybody know how to switch to the full website? I have about 5 pictures to post...

Post Thanks / Like
    The pile of wood I started with

Post Thanks / Like
    So apparently I still can't upload pictures. The area for the photobucket part of posting is all scrambled on my phone it shows thumbnails but the part to select them is gone. I don't think ill ever be able to post a pic :/ it won't let me choose one from my phone directly

Post Thanks / Like
    this is the lumber i started with

Click here to enlarge

heres the bottom with part of the legs

Click here to enlarge

heres me priming and painting the top and bottom of the inside at my work

Click here to enlarge

top and bottom on now

Click here to enlarge

finished product minus being wrapped

Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    looks good. a little overkill, but looks good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol yeah I'm being told I'm building a bomb shelter lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast