THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: BULKHEADS

Post Thanks / Like
    Click to view-->My personal DIY projects

Post Thanks / Like
    Just want to point out that if you don't use standard bulkheads then you will need a different size hole.
    My tank was drilled for sch80 bulkheads and no standard bulkheads will fit the hole. I either need to go bigger on the hole or use sch80 bulkheadsI recommend waiting till you have your bulkheads in your hand to measure before drilling your holes

Post Thanks / Like
    Nah, you just decide whether or not you want to go with sch40 or 80(taking into consideration that the glass is undrilled) then decide how much gph you want/need then depending on which style bulkhead you want look at what size for that particular size.
    Join the darkside.

Post Thanks / Like
    The place I went to locally to replace my sch80 bulkhead had a 1.5" that needed a different hole size than the 1.5" I removed from my tank
    :-\

Post Thanks / Like
    very rarely are sch80 bulkheads even available. Especially with an aquarium store online or at a lfs.

In this hobby, sch40 bulkheads are the staple.

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct, MOST, if not all RR tanks will have holes drilled for Sch40 bulkheads. And as Joey said, sch40 are the norm, but BRS readily stocks sch80's. They're just more durable and definitely last longer than sch40's. And more expensive a 1/2" sch40 is $4.99 whereas a 1/2" sch80 is $10.99. I might even run sch80's in my new tank( a year from now) but, I'm also a lunatic who likes to overdue things.
    Join the darkside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by UaruJoey Click here to enlarge
    very rarely are sch80 bulkheads even available. Especially with an aquarium store online or at a lfs.

In this hobby, sch40 bulkheads are the staple.
    Just because something is "the staple" doesn't mean that people don't use other things.
    there are a few online fishstores that sell sch80 bulkheads and for you to say that sch80 bulkheads are rarely available is crazy. every plumbing store will have sch80 bulkheads.

Crazy: I agree that reef ready tanks will be drilled for sch40 bulkheads, but this site is a diy site meaning drill your own holes :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone else having double post problems?

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome info Joey! I was looking for this exact info for finding out how I should drill for my bean animal overflow. I might have to re-think how I'm going to drill my 200g. 2" bulkheads seem a bit extreme. I'll have to drill almost a 3" hole for the bulkheads!
    Look here for why you shouldn't buy styrofoam for your DIY background

My 200 gal starfire project

Post Thanks / Like
    awesome =)

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 1904mike Click here to enlarge
    Just because something is "the staple" doesn't mean that people don't use other things.
    there are a few online fishstores that sell sch80 bulkheads and for you to say that sch80 bulkheads are rarely available is crazy. every plumbing store will have sch80 bulkheads.

Crazy: I agree that reef ready tanks will be drilled for sch40 bulkheads, but this site is a diy site meaning drill your own holes :P

I wouldnt say its crazy to say that at all. 99% of plumbing applications for the home aquarist call for schedule 40. In fact, we dont even need that.

Sch80 are meant for extreme pressure ratings. And i mean EXTREME..... We never deal with this sort of pressure in the hobby.

Drains are just drains.... no pressure is really put on them at all. Returns get the most pressure, but even then, dont come close to the rating of regular sch40.

Post Thanks / Like
    He actually is correct. I can't remember what the sch40's were rated to but, I'm sure a normal return doesn't come anywhere near it.
    Join the darkside.

Post Thanks / Like
    no to argue just to argue, but you didn't say they are rarely used, you said they are rarely available.
    they are not rare at all, you just don't see them often in the aquarium world. However there must be people that use them if online fish stores carry them

Post Thanks / Like
    I think for the most part the guys that run big big big systems use sch80 due to the gigantic pumps. I'm using them on my 48x24xwho knows Click here to enlarge
    Join the darkside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 1904mike Click here to enlarge
    not to argue just to argue, but you didn't say they are rarely used, you said they are rarely available.
    they are not rare at all, you just don't see them often in the aquarium world. However there must be people that use them if online fish stores carry them
    True... i rarely see them is what i meant. Rare to me, and in my area......

But rare in the hobby too to be honest. When is the last time we seen one used? and i mean used because it was needed.

I actually have one, and i think its ridiculous. Its a monster. lol

To be honest, even sch40 pipe is not really needed in our hobby.

If the run of the pipe is well supported, its not really needed.

I actually switched my plumbing out for thin wall PVC.... half the thickness of sch40. I run 4000+ gph threw a 1.5" pipe. No issues at all. Its just flimsy. I switched it on my drains originally to get a tiny bit more flow.... Its less than 1/2 price of sch40 as well. A 10 foot pipe costs me like 8.99... cant beat that. It would take around 1500PSI to make it burst, and im running around 10psi in it.... The pipe is rated at 200psi.

It is just really flimsy and can cause issues in connecting areas if it is not held in place firmly. I dont recommend it at all if you haven't been pluming tanks for a while to understand where and why leaks happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the bulkhead flow rate link being updated? I am having issues pulling it up. Thank you for any help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mattd390 Click here to enlarge
    Is the bulkhead flow rate link being updated? I am having issues pulling it up. Thank you for any help!

It got deleted when i moved the forum. I have not created a new one yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    i have a 180 gallon tank that im looking to do the same thing to. i want to do a bean animal overflow. was gonna drill 3 holes for 1 inch bulkheads.. but not all drains flow the same. you have one full siphon and partial siphon at all times.. is this enough???? how far are you with you project thelub????

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Frankiej323 Click here to enlarge
    i have a 180 gallon tank that im looking to do the same thing to. i want to do a bean animal overflow. was gonna drill 3 holes for 1 inch bulkheads.. but not all drains flow the same. you have one full siphon and partial siphon at all times.. is this enough???? how far are you with you project thelub????

You should go with 3 equal size drains the last one is emergency overflow. I would have to consider going with 1 1/2" drains on a 180g tank. Look here
    Diy PVC Coast to Coast Weir Aquarium Overflow (PVCC2C) and bean animal
    Ferengi
    Rule of Acquisition
    #217 You can't free a fish from water.
    The Unwritten Rule: "When no appropriate rule applies... make one up!

Post Thanks / Like
    links dont work

Post Thanks / Like
    First 2 links are dead