ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: German GOLD rams spawned.

Post Thanks / Like

German GOLD rams spawned.

That was QUICK!

PH above 8
    Temp 84o

I bought a geman female about 2 weeks ago or less, went in and bought a male 4 days ago. When I introduced him into the tank around 2 in the afternoon he went straight to her. The same evening they started cleaning a rock, they have done this for 3 days now, tonight they dropped that site and went to a place where I added more plants, she had her eggs on the slate wall, he is doing his fert on them. I am very very surprised it happend this quick, I am not set up for this at all. I own a number of rams now, yesterday i went to the lfs and saw a male just beating up on another apisto in the tank, after looking more in depth I see he is protecting his mate who is cleaning an area to drop, I quickly bought both since the store didn't seem to care what was going on in the tank. They worked on cleaning their own site but then the male met the other female who is paired up and took interest in her vs the one he already was hooked up with. Now I feel tricked lol, I wanted two breeding pair and now I have one looking for a threesome. Let me get back on track lol, I own 3 gbr, 2 bolivian rams, 4 golds and one electric blue, I have to say the GOLDS by far are my fav, they just are a great fish to watch, very social with me , I am sure most of you understand what that means, they swim around alot, no hiding and very active. The GBR seem to hide alot and so does the electric, the bolivian male is mean so I got him a female, that has calmed him down some. I had planned to raise these to sell them off, my sons new hobby for his own income. He left for Texas yesterday afternoon to visit his gma, and he didn't get to see this, I am bummed. I think they will be good parents, but you never know it may take a few passes to get it right, i intend to leave this batch in the tank and see how it goes, once free swimming I may or may not move them to a new tank or I might just let them raise them.

Thanks for reading my long rant, I am just SUPER excited.

D

Post Thanks / Like
    eggs are white and small, they aren't around them much and it doesn't look like alot of fanning is going on when they are there. When the eggs are laid and fert should they already have a black spot or will that come in a day or two? As of right now they are dull in color.

D

Post Thanks / Like
    i cant help out but congratz =).

and lol on the threesome

Post Thanks / Like
    they are back to fanning, but im still upset that the one pair quit on me.....

D

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a 5 gallon water change just to stay on point and keep it clean, eggs are gone now. I guess I should have just waited a few days to see what would have come of the eggs. They were getting little black dots and my wife thinks they were getting bigger.... FUDGE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with the next round, I'm sure it'll happen soon, by the sounds of it!

Post Thanks / Like
    the german blues did, but ate them within an hour ughhhhhhhhhh

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds frustrating.. but exciting tooClick here to enlarge I guess that's part of the joy when they finally do it right. Love Rams, hope it happens soon for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    ya I hope they try again soon, they don't even post up with eachother anymore.

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey D, would you be willing to ship some juvies? I bought a duo of golds, but I think they're both males. I'm looking for some females.
    Look here for why you shouldn't buy styrofoam for your DIY background

My 200 gal starfire project

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Good luck with the next round... they are funny to watch some times...