ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: new cherry shrimp and unknown snail

Post Thanks / Like

new cherry shrimp and unknown snail

Initially I got 5. I see 2 on a halfway regular basis. The other ones I got aren't red yet so they blend it more. Not sure if they are still around or not. They're surviving my 3 tiger barbs.

Here's the only one I could get a picture of tonight.
    Click here to enlarge

I just received a couple shipments of plants from some members on TPT and got a couple hitchhikers. This one was available for shot. I think this is a pest snail. As long as I've been keeping aquariums this is my first snail.
    Click here to enlarge

There is also another type of snail that I've notice. It had a much more rounded shell. Something more typical of a snail shell shape. I'll have to grab pictures of them next time I see it. I think its a "mystery" snail. Very fitting title Click here to enlarge

Tonight I also noticed some kind of fry. I only have 3 tiger barbs and 1 oto. I don't think my tigers are ready to spawn and I think I have 3 males anyway. I tried to get a picture of it, but when I turned around to grab my camera it was gone. I hope it can survive and mature in all the new plants.
    Look here for why you shouldn't buy styrofoam for your DIY background

My 200 gal starfire project

Post Thanks / Like
    These shrimp are more fickle than people think. I got 16 yellow ones from a local breeder and I lost about 6 in the first month. 8 Gal tank with levels monitored.

They were bigger ones, but I doubt they were a year or older.

That would be awesome if they were oto fry that you saw, since they are often in such rough shape that they were almost exclusively wild caught for stores

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard back from one of the guys I bought plants from that it might be an SAE fry.

Post Thanks / Like
    o yeah and that just looks like your generic "pond" snail which will breed out of control lol

Post Thanks / Like
    MoreGPH is right, you will be pulling them out by the fistful if you don't monitor them

Post Thanks / Like
    On the subject, those pond snails had gotten out of hand in my Piranha tank.

Eventually, I just took some metal planting tweezers and started abducting them in large numbers like a freakin UFO lol

lol got like 15 a day for a week, now I cant see one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, snails... If only I could reach through the computer and grab the person by the throat who suggested two years ago I get some for my turtle to eat. ... He never ate one, and to this day I still find them in my filter, despite me squeezing every one I find during a routine cleaning. Ugh! As Metallica says, Kill Em All!
    210-gallon FW tank for a Cooter, 5 discus & guppies. 100G tank for a Black Moor and awaiting Golden Threads. 78G FW for Diamondback Terrapin, goldfish and ghost shrimp. Plus I have 800G pond for koi, plants and my turts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pond snails are gone, now I just have these that are breeding, but not prolifically.
    Click here to enlarge