Thread: How do you refill a tank after a waterchange?

Post Thanks / Like

How do you refill a tank after a waterchange?

Hi guys,
    Was just doing a water change today and was wondering whether there is a faster way to refill my tank.
    I currently use buckets and use a siphon to put water from the buckets into the tank. I have to put the buckets on an ironing board to get them high enough to get a decent siphon.
    How do you guys do it?
    Cheers,
    Brett.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on the tank size. For my little 5 gallon, I just scoop water out of the bucket with a cup. For my 10 and 20 gallons, I just pour directly from the bucket into the tank. That's probably the fastest I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a cheapo powerhead from walmart with a hose on one end to pump water out of the tank and into a bucket. Then I use the same pump to pump water back into the tank
    I do have to get the clean water bucket up to the same height as the tank cause the powerhead I use isn't powerful enough to pump up the 4 head height.
    Once a month I give it a 10 min bath in some vinegar and water with the pump running to clean it out.

Oh and I put the hose on the output side of the pump

Post Thanks / Like
    I carry buckets at the moment. But I am putting a "Y" on my washing machine hose so I can just use that as its close to my tank

Post Thanks / Like
    Aquen Water Changer or the Python, attaches to sink, you can find it at petco/petsmart. Now that I'm using my only pump for sumping, I no longer have another pump for water changes, I put the water in a water barrel, treat it then pump it into the tank. I did think about using my aquaclear powerhead, just have to find a hose that will connect to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used buckets for ages on my 40g, recently picked up this unit on ebay without the hoses and just brought a garden hose for it.

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/produc...er-changer.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kracken Click here to enlarge
    Aquen Water Changer or the Python, attaches to sink, you can find it at petco/petsmart. Now that I'm using my only pump for sumping, I no longer have another pump for water changes, I put the water in a water barrel, treat it then pump it into the tank. I did think about using my aquaclear powerhead, just have to find a hose that will connect to it.
    I used a hose off a siphon vacuum thing
    I made the hose fit onto my power head, by heating it and stretching it out with some circlip pliers. then I used a zip tie to make sure it never comes off.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never thought of using my spare powerhead... Now I feel a bit dumb haha.

I've never understood the python things that got on the tap, how do you treat the water for chlorine and such?

Post Thanks / Like
    ive recently herd bad things about prime and plants but i still use prime a 44gal aging barrel 330gph pump and python to do my wc
    Discus/Apistogramma Aficionado Dirt Tank Savant

Post Thanks / Like
    Im using a drip system that has a air line tube for my usual auto water change and also it has a another pvc with a ball valve. That pvc can fill my tank if i need . lets say in a situation of a water change.

So when i need to do a water change. First i clean my gravel with my gravel vacuum then after that i just simply turn on the ball valve that i mentioned earlier and wait until it refill the tank. And its too easy

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ImmortalPotato Click here to enlarge
    I've never understood the python things that got on the tap, how do you treat the water for chlorine and such?
    What you normally do is add the water into a separate container, treat it, then pump the water from the container to the tank. You can treat the tank directly then add the tap water, however, be warned, unless you use something like Prime that works immediately, you are facing potential trouble, not all dechlorinators are the same. Prime is the only one I know for sure, that you can be confident adding it to the tank followed by tap water your fish will do just fine. The only other one I feel absolutely safe using that method is my Microbe-Lift AquaXtreme dechlorinator, it just works. I still prefer to use a separate container just to be safe. In the future, I'll be doing an auto drip system.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Nutrafin Aqua+ and it works right away with no problems, I used to use Prime as well, but I can by Aqua Plus by the jug as opposed to just a small bottle, but either work just fine by putting it in the tank and then refilling the tank.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    I attach a hose to the outlet of my canister and pump it out onto the garden, then with another hose I fill the tank backup, easy as.

Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad my faucet is a sprayer type. Water been sitting in my tank for six months.

Post Thanks / Like
    The input of my external pump is "Y'd" - valve one way, water in the tank recirculates; other way draws water from the auxiliary inlet connected to either a reservoir of water (I use well water, so no treatment other than heating to tank temp) or my poop sucker DIY vacuum. Yeah, I know, but I made it so I get to name it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lee's Aqua siphon thing to suck water out and put it back in. Nice and easy. I am sure buckets would be faster since my water pressure sucks here, but the hose is easier.
    Support your local fish store or you will not have one!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been in the hobby for 20 years and have always done water change with 2.5 and 5g buckets (6x).
    I fill them by hands in the bath on the second floor, the tanks are in my basement... (except 1x 50g in my room on the second floor).
    I could install a water outlet in the basement, but transporting the bucket is almost the only physical exercise I do LOL
    I treat the water with Seachem Prime, buy them in 250mL bottle of 2L on Boxing Day Click here to enlarge
    I use the 2.5g bucket to put back slowly the clean water in the tank, they are easier to lift to the rim of the tank compared to a full 5g bucket !
    I also use 5g buckets (4x) for old water, I always clean my old/dirty sponges in them.
    The old water goes in the toilet during winter/fall and in the garden/flowers outside during spring/summer.
    Some people laugh at me for doing it that way, but I like it !!!
    Last edited by Chouin; 11-26-2014 at 10:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Divinehammer Click here to enlarge
    I use Nutrafin Aqua+ and it works right away with no problems, I used to use Prime as well, but I can by Aqua Plus by the jug as opposed to just a small bottle, but either work just fine by putting it in the tank and then refilling the tank.
    I don't know the price mark of Aqua Plus but you can buy Prime by the Gallon for $80.00 USD

Post Thanks / Like
    Prime and a hose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fill bucket. Wait 24 hours and then empty tanks and replace with water from the bucket, No Chemicals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge...An Corp...Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an FYI to those using declorinators - the US Forest Service uses Vitamin C. If you are interested in details, doses, etc... http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/html/0.../05231301.html

Post Thanks / Like
    On my 55 gallon I use a hose with a sprayer on the end to get aeration as it fills up, or my python

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Amoque Click here to enlarge
    Just an FYI to those using declorinators - the US Forest Service uses Vitamin C. If you are interested in details, doses, etc... http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/html/0.../05231301.html
    Basically get a liter of orange juice, pour into your refill water , wait a few minutes. Throw the whole lot in your tanks, have fun watchin your fish swim around in juicy goodness... Its got to be good for them to its full of vitamins.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dan279 Click here to enlarge
    Basically get a liter of orange juice, pour into your refill water , wait a few minutes. Throw the whole lot in your tanks, have fun watchin your fish swim around in juicy goodness... Its got to be good for them to its full of vitamins.
    Orange juice is only 0.14% vitamin C...

Orange juice (with a PH of 2.8) in aquarium water is not a good thing as the organic acids will drive down the PH, then as the organic acids break down over time the PH will climb back up, you would be forever trying to buffer the water back to a 'safe' PH zone...

To give you an idea, 1 liter of orange juice (PH 2.8) in a 100 liter aquarium (PH 7) will lower the PH of the water to 4.8, the same 1 liter of OJ in a 1000 liter aquarium will lower the PH of the water to 5.8... Remember that the PH scale is logarithmic, a PH of 6 is 10 times more acidic then PH 7, so a drop down to 5 is about 100 times more acid then 7...

Best to use pure vitamin C in measured minimum doses...

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Meep Click here to enlarge
    Orange juice is only 0.14% vitamin C...

Best to use pure vitamin C in measured minimum doses...

I'm starting to believe your a machine with no sense of humour... Only pullin your leg!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I use my python to drain and my RODI unit to fill my 75 gal freshwater tank. Fish love the clean water and my tank and filters stay cleaner longer. I still do water changes to remove nitrates. No additives. For my saltwater tank I have a mixing station.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dan279 Click here to enlarge
    I'm starting to believe your a machine with no sense of humour... Only pullin your leg!!!!
    Sarcasm isn't always conveyed well on forums or in the written text at all without emphasis or highlight...

Thus I error on the side of caution to avoid that potential follow up post where someone is crying that they just lost all their fish because they followed said 'advise' not realizing it was sarcasm... I have seen it happen first hand especially on international forums where the conveyance of sarcasm can be further lost due to language gaps...

Post Thanks / Like
    I just use buckets!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bucket it pretty okay for me.
    I write at chriply.com, visit for find my recent writing