ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: Stingray identification

Post Thanks / Like

Stingray identification

ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Can any of you fine people ID my ray for me. I think she a regular old retic but I fine her tail is shorter than the other on I have in there. Thank you all

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a retic to me Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Squire7 Click here to enlarge
    Looks like a retic to me Click here to enlarge

yup

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw some of these at my local Big Al's today, was almost thinking of getting one for my 240 LOL!, but I figured my plats wouldn't go over to well with it, or can you have plant's with Rays?
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    You can certainly, aslong as it's not too heavily planted the rays wont mind plants. They may dig them up though.

Post Thanks / Like
    hmm is a 240 gallon big enough for one or would I need a tank like Joey has for them? might have to do so reading up on these.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO you can keep one ray in a 240 as long as its a male. If you want more thats when you have to start making your tank wider.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO you can keep one ray in a 240 as long as its a male. If you want more thats when you have to start making your tank wider.
    thanks was reading up on them last night, kinda neat, might wait a bit till i move to my own house that I can set up a bigger tank, then I might get one.

Post Thanks / Like
    even a retic gets to be 18" across and over 2 feet long... Although its a bit rare, and a 240 should be fine for a long time.

A retic is the worst ray to start out with though. Avoid it, and invest in a motoro. They are easier to keep.

most other rays, even if its a male get to 24-30" across....

ANY ray needs at least 20-25 square feet of space(depending on dimensions) for life. Thats pushing it though. Most ray keepers will suggest a foot print of 8x4...

If you are serious though, yes.. you will need a big tank like mine to house it for life. which would be around 15-25 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by UaruJoey Click here to enlarge
    even a retic gets to be 18" across and over 2 feet long... Although its a bit rare, and a 240 should be fine for a long time.

A retic is the worst ray to start out with though. Avoid it, and invest in a motoro. They are easier to keep.

most other rays, even if its a male get to 24-30" across....

ANY ray needs at least 20-25 square feet of space(depending on dimensions) for life. Thats pushing it though. Most ray keepers will suggest a foot print of 8x4...

If you are serious though, yes.. you will need a big tank like mine to house it for life. which would be around 15-25 years.

Click here to enlarge Good info Joey! Why is the Retic the worst to start off with??

Post Thanks / Like
    To my understanding, they are fussier with their diets especially and more sensitive to water parameters than say your Motoro's and Leo rays.

Not reccomended for people just getting into rays, once you have kept them and know how to care for them, go for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    To my understanding, they are fussier with their diets especially and more sensitive to water parameters than say your Motoro's and Leo rays.

Not reccomended for people just getting into rays, once you have kept them and know how to care for them, go for it.
    It all depends on if they are captive bred or wild caught. If they are wild caught don't waist your money or time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Both of mine are wild caught and they are doing fine

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=justinpollonais;85873]Both of mine are wild caught and they are doing fine[/QUOTE

That's great, but for every 1 successful story there is probably 10 unsuccessful stories. Just out of curiosity how big are yours, I have yet to see or hear of any reaching the 18" disc size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well they are surely not 18" they are around 4"

Post Thanks / Like
    ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kordova Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Good info Joey! Why is the Retic the worst to start off with??
    Finicky eaters.... horrible to get eating. When they do, they get stuck on live worms or frozen worms. If your lucky, and have kept rays before, you can sometimes get them onto better foods.

I owned one before.. i was lucky with mine.. after a few months, i got it to eat proper foods. I sold it eventually and went onto motoros... then Boesemani... then Leopoldi...

I'll never own another retic.