ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: Green Hair Algae

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Green Hair Algae

How can i get rid of it?!?!

It seems to like my flame moss and i have been bulling and cleaning it by hand this stuff is like velcro and it keeps coming back!
    Last edited by HillbillyHomer; 12-27-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HillbillyHomer Click here to enlarge
    How can i get rid of it?!?!

It seems to like my flame moss and i have been bulling and cleaning it by hand this stuff is like velcro and it keeps coming back!
    I've heard a toothbrush works well. Grab the algae with the bristles and wrap the algae around the tooth brush.

Or you could simply turn your lights off for a couple days.

As for keeping it gone. Check your nitrate and phosphate levels. How long are your lights on each day? Keep your periods of lights on to less than 6 hours, this seemed to help when I had the same issue. I only have a strand or two left now, tank has pretty much cleared up.
    Working on setting up a 180 gallon SW setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nailed it! Check your phosphates.
    Join the darkside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have to agree with Sboisvert and Crazy, cleaning and removing it will take it out but will not resolve the initial problem of "why do you have it".

Post Thanks / Like
    is this a fresh water tank or salt?
    150g sw reef 125g fw planted rainbow fish 29g biocube reef seahorse and mandarin goby 8g biocube corals soon to have 90 octopus tank

Post Thanks / Like
    Ooohh. Good call Sirreal.
    Join the darkside.

Post Thanks / Like
    i'm pretty sure he is talking FW =) never heard him talk about a Sw tank

Post Thanks / Like
    then and I could be mistaken phosphates are not the problem. nitrates are. turning the light off will help but wont solve the problem. what are you using for a filter? water changes? I had this problem when i would clean filters and do a 50% water change. it was to much. I was wiping out my biologic and the tank would recycle. thats when I found out small water changes and more often. and clean the filter when its dirty only. i also like having 2 filters and clean one one week then the other the next. I dont know if this is your problem but it was mine. hope this helps. also where do you get your water from?
    150g sw reef 125g fw planted rainbow fish 29g biocube reef seahorse and mandarin goby 8g biocube corals soon to have 90 octopus tank

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you everyone for the advice.

The tank is A FW 30g planted medium light diy co2 lights on four, off two, on four, weekly five gl water chang, Very light bio load, two filters one diy in tank canister and a over the side.

Post Thanks / Like
    check your nitrate and nitrite levels ,when was the last time you cleaned the substrate, you might just have a high phosphate level in the tank, from rotting food and poop.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    ahh now were talking keeping water not fish. well if its non planted its 1000% easy, cut your lighting to just when you look at your fish and do more waterchanges this will remove excess nitrate and phosphate, also dont overfeed.
    with planted this is a whole new ball park and will require testkits for phosphate,nitate plus premixing your water and getting a fert dosing plan to suite your lighting photoperiod. sounds technical becouse it is and may take alot of trial and error at first to get your tank optimal and algae free but when you get there its a real achievment. some say hightech planted is harder than keeping reef becouse you need microtraces of nitrate and phosphate not nill like marine
    [IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like
    All good advice, minimizing food input and potential fertilizer will all help combat hair algae. Hair algae is able to grow when there is excess nutrients available that are not being consumed by your desirable plants. You need a multiple faceted approach to rid this nuisance algae.
    Small weekly water changes 5%. So not to stress your occupants. Use a good quality water for these changes. Low phosphates, low silicates, low nitrate, low ammonia and low nitrites water is essential. RO - DI may be your best choice. More desirable plants also help take in the excess nutrients. See if you can find true algae eaters. Crossocheilus siamensis is probably one of the few fish that will eat hair algae. If you can obtain them, get a group of them to keep it in check. In addition you may want to cut back on the co2 supplementation until under control. Good luck, it will not disappear over night but you will be able to get it under control with diligent maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You

Post Thanks / Like
    has anyone used the same barley pellets in a fresh water fish tank like they use in ponds for hair algae? I use it in my pond every year and works great! Might be a bandaid forsure but would it work?
    Just because it ain't swimmin don't mean its dead!

90 gallon DT
    90 gallon DIY sump

65 gallon DT
    30 gallon DIY sump

800 gallon gold fish pond!

Post Thanks / Like
    i could be wrong but dont mystery snails eat hair algae? It may have been a golden apple snail? of coarse, then you have a snail in your tank, so creating a new problem to solve another, you could put one in just till its done its job and remove it to some other tank if available.

Post Thanks / Like
    12" common pleco, will do away with it fast, mind you will prob have to replant the tank, but it will be algae free. LOL!Click here to enlarge but I would prob go with decreasing the lights schedule and swall water changes to remove the excess nitrates and phosphates from the water, decrease the amount of food being feed to the fish as well.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!