ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can i use a 35 gallon laundry bucket for a pond?

Post Thanks / Like
    there isnt a need to winter fish indoors. there are just some things that need to be addressed when building your pond. if you live in a climate with harsh winters, you just need to make your pond deep enough so it doesnt freeze solid in the winters. a pond can ice over, as long as there is a hole in the ice for oxygen exchange. they make small heaters for this which keep just a hole about the size of a basket ball oopen in the ice. koin and goldfish will go into a hibernation type of mode when the water temperature drop to around 40 deg f. stop feeding when the water temp hits around 45 and turn off you pumps. this will allow the deeper parts of your ponds retain heat, and the lawer of ice also acts as insulation.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow you did your research do you have a link to this type of heater? hve never heard of this. pretty cool

Post Thanks / Like
    ill see what brand mine is when i get home. i have had 2 koi ponds. my first one was 3x4x12, my current one is 8x8x5. i always winter my koi and goldfish outside.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard of doing that, here in Alberta it's recommended to move them in unless your pond is 20' deep, otherwise you end up with fish popcicle LOL!Click here to enlarge
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, you have to have the pond deeper than the frost line. i forgot to get the brand off of my de icer, but it is pretty much the same as this one http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...57&pcatid=8557

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you get your hands on a 30 to 55 gallon plastic barrel / same as the ones you see used for a trash can. Cut it some where around the middle or closer to the top depending on how much space you are needing for your filter and pump.

something like this
    Click here to enlarge

Use a sawzall or hand saw to cut it / with a helper we have used a skil saw to cut them.
    Cut it in the correct spot and you could use the other half for the lid to keep stuff from falling in filter box.
    Life and Attitude are a choice the real question is are you making a Good One.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12