ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY LED light

Post Thanks / Like

DIY LED light

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dennis09x
    Great video, very thorough explanation but,
    What was the total cost of this build? I'm looking at the costs and it doesn't seem very cheap at all.
    they will pay for themselves in a couple electric bills how many depends on what kind of light your using

I Love Living In Japan

Pics or it didn't happen Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY LED light

It also depends what you want to do. If this is saltwater and you want to grow corals you need 6-12 LEDs per square foot (LxW of your tank). The number is also dependent on tank depth.
    240G SPS/LPS reef - tomato clowns& sebae nem, sunburst anthias, Powder B Tang, Royal Gramma, Desjardini Sailfin, Copperband, Spotfin, Moorish Idol Build thread Webcam will be back soon! Science news!

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by h2so4hurts
    It also depends what you want to do. If this is saltwater and you want to grow corals you need 6-12 LEDs per square foot (LxW of your tank). The number is also dependent on tank depth.
    How many lights would you recommend if you are only running an aggressive fowlr tank?
    Join the darkside.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably half that. 3-4 per square foot would be enough to keep it nice and bright. But if you're just wanting light to be able to see in the tank you might as well just get the cheap 1 watt led strips from the car parts store.
    240G SPS/LPS reef - tomato clowns& sebae nem, sunburst anthias, Powder B Tang, Royal Gramma, Desjardini Sailfin, Copperband, Spotfin, Moorish Idol Build thread Webcam will be back soon! Science news!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am looking at doing a DIY LED kit for my 14G Biocube. But i am not wanting to spend that much money Click here to enlarge . I am growing some smaller corals right now with the stock bulbs, i would just like them to be healthier. What are my options for good but best price?? Thanks
    55G Mbuna Yellow Lab Tank
    10G Yellow Lab Fry Tank
    14G Oceanic Biocube Clown\Reef Tank

Post Thanks / Like
    i would say the rapid led is a good option. Try too get CREE LED they are apparently the best as they are used in the big brand LED fixtures you can buy. Do alot of calculating and check out the websites which sell aquatic material. I did a check on how much the rapid led kit would cost and it turned out to be around the same price as a pharos LED fixture which uses the same CREE LED. + this pharos fixture has a wireless controller that you can buy for it after if you want, and it gives you sunrise moonlighting clouds passing over the tank and other cool things like that. So for around the same price i will go with the controlable one.

thats why i said to check out every option you have and compare. Now thats said lol, your tank is not huge so the cost wont be huge either. I know rapid led does a pre chosen kit of 96 watts for 170€ or something in that range. But maybe you can find some other fixture cheaper.

Here is the link to the US rapid led site:
    http://www.rapidled.com/dimmable-plu...retrofit-kits/
    whats not written on the Us site ( or i didn't find it) is the W for each kit:

They are written on the french site though:

6 LED dimmable Kit: 24W
    12 LED dimmable kit: 48W
    24 LED dimmable kit: 96W
    36 LED dimmable kit: 144W
    48 LED dimmable kit: 192W

By the way i think crazy eyes is doing a LED kit at the moment and he is not using rapidled LED's so maybe ask him where he got his. =)

Post Thanks / Like
    Tank height, type of coral also play another role in how many LEDs you're going to need. I'm ordering my LEDs from SteveLeds. There not Crees, they're Luxeon ES LED's. It will be 24 LEDs. 16 royal blues, 4 cool whites and 4 neutral whites. I am using C-channel instead of a traditional heatsink, I am using 2 Inventronics drivers, and controlling it with a Dim4 controller. If I wasn't going to run the Dim4 this build would cost around $200.00. This is for a 40B (36x18x16) I know 24 will be enough. This is going to be an Zoa/softie tank, maybe some LPS depending on what kind of number I get from the lights. If I ever wanted to go Sps then all I'd have to do is add a few more LEDs.
    Join the darkside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Or a Par38 bulb. I just got two Par38's for my 20g and they look absolutely amazing.
    Join the darkside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CrazyEyes Click here to enlarge
    Or a Par38 bulb. I just got two Par38's for my 20g and they look absolutely amazing.
    i knew you would appear to answer lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi bros,

I've watched Joey's vid a couple of days ago. I am now decided to diy led lighting for my future 5ftx2.5ftx2.5ft freshwater tank. Since Joey made a full spectrum lighting for his ray tank, i would like to ask if full spectrum has any advantage to freshwater fishes such as arowana, datnoids, rays, etc.

Thanks bros. HFK!

Post Thanks / Like
    i don't know if the spectrum is going to affect the fish or not. i don't think so. I think spectrum comes into play if you have corals and plants which do need specific amount of lighting and spectrum and other things like that. But with only fish i don't think a full spectrum is necessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fiesta90150 Click here to enlarge
    i don't know if the spectrum is going to affect the fish or not. i don't think so. I think spectrum comes into play if you have corals and plants which do need specific amount of lighting and spectrum and other things like that. But with only fish i don't think a full spectrum is necessary.
    Thanks for the quick reply bro!

How about for the viewing experience? Is it better to have full spectrum?

Thanks again bro! HFK!

Post Thanks / Like
    If the spectrum doesn't matter for the fish well i guess that for the viewing experience it will depend on your taste. i know that i prefer a little blue (fav color) so thats me. but if you want daylight lighting you couls follow the 3 types of white that joey used i think that would do it. Then you can go fancy pink purple green lol. But this is keeping in mind that youd on't have to have a special spectrum for the fish

Post Thanks / Like
    Just as Fiesta said, if your just doing fish, whether it be fresh or salt light spectrum is not a factor that needs to be considered. The only purpose the lights are going to serve is so you can view the tank at a level you like.
    Join the darkside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys..

I am now decided to get 3 types of white and some blue for night light. Maybe 2pcs of blue is enough.

Is there a general rule on LED wattage for specific tank? I am planning to build a 5x2.5x2.5ft tank. Is 90-100watts enough?

Thanks again bros.. HFK!

Post Thanks / Like
    What are the dimensions of the tank?
    Join the darkside.

Post Thanks / Like
    What are the dimensions of the tank?
    It will be a 5ft(L)x2.5ft(W)x2.5ft(H) tank.

Thanks bro!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a deep tank man. I know your not going with a reef tank but check this out. It's a linear type LED setup. https://sites.google.com/site/caddni...-linear-design
    Join the darkside.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a deep tank man. I know your not going with a reef tank but check this out. It's a linear type LED setup. https://sites.google.com/site/caddni...-linear-design
    Wow. Thanks for this bro. Will definitely try this out. Will post update once done DIYing. Will buy supplies this weekend.

Thanks again bro.. HFK!

Post Thanks / Like
    A quick question,

Would ( 2 ) of the 6x20 inch fixtures for a 55 gallon Planted tank be over kill.. And what would everyone experienced with LED's recommend for the amount of LED's needed ( LED's per foot )... I need this fixture to have medium to high output for specific plants...

What would be some suggested configurations..

Rapid LED is the first site I have actually found with kelvin ratings that made sense and they premade heatsinks is awesome...
    I was looking at using LED's like this http://dx.com/p/10w-10000k-700-lumen...dc-9-11v-95818 But they do require a lot more work to install...

Anyways any clarity would be much appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you use any Lenses to direct the light... I have read so many DIY articles sense I found this one and its 50/50 whether people use lenses and the ones that do say its a must to get the complete LED power... 40 or 60 degree lenses ...

Post Thanks / Like
    NVM!

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted in the wrong thread Click here to enlarge sorry.
    Last edited by CrazyEyes; 03-09-2013 at 03:53 PM.
    Join the darkside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Joey what's your thoughts on using GU10 LED bulbs instead of individual LEDs?
    Using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12