THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DIY Drip System

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't use a drip system at my place because we use Chlormine in the water instead of chlorine sadly, otherwise my 1500 gallon build would be going this way.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Divinehammer Click here to enlarge
    I can't use a drip system at my place because we use Chlormine in the water instead of chlorine sadly, otherwise my 1500 gallon build would be going this way.

You can if you drip from an RO/DI filter with a sizable activated carbon filter the slow drip rate should allow for sufficient Chlormine removal as exposure time will be longer than if the filter is being used at full capacity or you can drip into an overflow that is packed with activated carbon that in turn overflows back into the tank...

Post Thanks / Like
    So I have my drip system installed and its working great, but I have this problem.... I never seem to be happy with my systems so I need to plan out upgrades and whatnot... I should seek help...

Anyway Im not going to act on it right away but if I were to want the option of mixing RO water into my drip I was thinking of somewhere back at the source of my water supply adding another line that runs around my fishroom with RO water, this would give me the option at any tank of adding a second drip that would be pure RO which would allow me to tionker on a tank by tank basis with the % or RO water to tap. (im looking to the future where I want soft water or even do salt)

Anyway I was reading that RO units and drip systems sometimes have issues, that RO units are best run at 100% or not at all something about the quality of water degrading over time if it runs at a slow constant. Is this true? Also is there any specific type of RO unit people have success with? (watching for sales and such)

If there is a problem with degrading water if I get one of the RO units that come with a smallish tank would that solve the problem as it would take the RO water from the tank, least thats what I would assume.

Thanks.

And Yes I really need help, my simple project where I added a overflow to a tank has somehow turned into a complete replumbing of my room, a drip system, in line CO2 systems, all new canister filters, and now working on new tank stands.... I have issues. Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trachr Click here to enlarge
    If there is a problem with degrading water if I get one of the RO units that come with a smallish tank would that solve the problem as it would take the RO water from the tank, least thats what I would assume.
    The #1 ignored maintenance (short of not replacing the filters) on RO systems that have a pressurized holding tank is cleaning that tank... Since you have removed most of the chemicals from the water you can experience growth of stuff in the holding tank over time, it's not a huge problem but it's something that still should to be addressed with proactive maintenance...

As for recommendations, well there are people that are brand loyal but truth is most units perform similar in the end... Don't be sold immediately on the number of stages, a lot of no name companies will put two or three coarse debris filters and then hype that theirs is a 6 or 7 stage unit and superior but at the end it's no better as the additional stages perform no better than a single stage... What you are concerned with is the end water quality and that is measured in PPM of contaminants... One of the biggest differences you will see right away is that the units sold at big box stores generally are low volume units that only filter 20 or so gallons a day enough for many but a pain if you are doing large water changes, so the reef guys will seek out units that make 100 gallons a day or more...

Post Thanks / Like
    how accurate are those little 1, 2 or 3 gallon drippers. I have to get creative with the overflow water barrel and I don't really want to come home to a soggy floor. My Fishroom doesn't have a convenient drain and I have to run a discharge hose into another room. Also, my fishroom has too freeakin many doors in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Drip emitters are pretty acurate if you get high quality ones. JHEMCO sells 2 grades of them. Get the higher grade ones.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123