Thread: Oscars

DIYFK member Monsterfishkeeper23's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Oscars

I have had my oscars for almost 6 months now and I got them when they were 1 1/2 inches and other was 2 1/2.and now the Albino the 2 1/2 incher is now 9 inches and the red tiger oscar is about 7-8 inches.how long do u guys think it will take for my oscars to grow about 15 inches there housed in a 125 gallon tank and I'm looking for a 300 gallon right now but can't find none locally.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oscars

i've got a baby to thats growing like crazy. from what i've read they grow to about 9 inches in a little under a year and then their growth slows considerably. your maybe looking at two or three years before they get to 12 or 13 inches and theres a good chance that they'll top out there. they don't all grow to 15 inches. also the oscar is a south american cichlid not central american

Post Thanks / Like

You know I got excited there for a sec, when I saw new posting in this section. Not too many people venture to this area, and Central American Cichlids are half of my fish stock.

As for your question, itll take 2-3 years. It also depends on whatever sex the fish is. Just as Mem said, not all oscars will even get that big, and unfortunatly its very hard to tell the sex of an oscar, even as an adult. Most people can tell when 2 oscars either pair up, or when they spawn. Hope this clears up your question. Also just as Mem said, I would look to your oscar being between the 10-13in range, just to hard to tell right now.
    125Gal: 6 Tiger Barbs, 5 Diamond Tetras, 2 Albino BN Plecos, GT, JD, Convict, Firemouth, Gold Severum, and Festivum
    55Gal: 11 Serpae Tetras, 7 Oto Catfish, 2 Super Red BN Plecos,2 German Blue Rams, Kribensis, Electric Blue Ram, 7 Nerite Snails, and 2 Angels
    10Gal: Hospital Tank

Post Thanks / Like

Oscars

Yeah that's ok .bc I might be getting another fish for my tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Oscars

What are you thinkin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    125Gal: 6 Tiger Barbs, 5 Diamond Tetras, 2 Albino BN Plecos, GT, JD, Convict, Firemouth, Gold Severum, and Festivum
    55Gal: 11 Serpae Tetras, 7 Oto Catfish, 2 Super Red BN Plecos,2 German Blue Rams, Kribensis, Electric Blue Ram, 7 Nerite Snails, and 2 Angels

Post Thanks / Like

Oscars

Arowana

Post Thanks / Like

Oscars

Is that the only fish in the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Oscars

No I have a channel catfish and a rtc x rsn hybrid

Post Thanks / Like

What other fish would be safe from a oscar that size? Can't be to many that won't be a snack.
    <-- Has more tanks than allowed by law

FS: Iwaki MD-70RLT pump! PM me for details

Post Thanks / Like

as long as it can't fit in the oscars mouth it won't get bothered to much. oscars really aren't aggresive, maybe a chace every now and then but thats as far as they will go if they can't eat something

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by memfish
    as long as it can't fit in the oscars mouth it won't get bothered to much. oscars really aren't aggresive, maybe a chace every now and then but thats as far as they will go if they can't eat something
    I second this, out of all my fish my two oscars ( had them for about 7 months so I am guessing 8 or 9 months old) are still very passive. they usually dont bother the other fish. I changed my tank around today and swapped 3 of my silver dollers with a couple fish that were with the oscars and for the first hour the oscars were showing dominance but after an hour it was like once they shown the dollers who was boss they were all good and for the rest of the day they have left the Silver Dollars alone. That is the most they have EVER shown aggression like that before.

That said, my Oscars wont take no gruff off any other fish either though lol. The Upside down Catfish I had in there until today tried to beat up on the oscars for the first week, and the oscars ended up beating the crap out of him (wasnt to bad, no real injury) before he left them alone. Once he started leaving them alone then life was peacefull once again except for the little scraps between the two convicts and the Ghost knife, but thats why the Cat fish and the Ghost knife were swapped with the silver dollars.

I think far to often Oscars get a bad rep for being these big mean fish that kill every thing and eat every thing in there tank when most of them are not like that.
    180 Gallon, 110 Gallon Long, 75 gallon, 55 gallon, 55 gallon, and 40 gallon breeder.

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AllAlaskan
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by memfish
    I second this, out of all my fish my two oscars ( had them for about 7 months so I am guessing 8 or 9 months old) are still very passive. they usually dont bother the other fish. I changed my tank around today and swapped 3 of my silver dollers with a couple fish that were with the oscars and for the first hour the oscars were showing dominance but after an hour it was like once they shown the dollers who was boss they were all good and for the rest of the day they have left the Silver Dollars alone. That is the most they have EVER shown aggression like that before.

That said, my Oscars wont take no gruff off any other fish either though lol. The Upside down Catfish I had in there until today tried to beat up on the oscars for the first week, and the oscars ended up beating the crap out of him (wasnt to bad, no real injury) before he left them alone. Once he started leaving them alone then life was peacefull once again except for the little scraps between the two convicts and the Ghost knife, but thats why the Cat fish and the Ghost knife were swapped with the silver dollars.

I think far to often Oscars get a bad rep for being these big mean fish that kill every thing and eat every thing in there tank when most of them are not like that.
    I think Oscars are kind of like dogs. They act how they're trained to act. They're not genetically aggressive and want to kill everything, but if they're raised poorly they will probably end up like that. Of course there is probably a few exceptions.
    2 40 Gallon Axolotl Tanks WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT AN AXOLOTL IS?! CLICK HERE
    20 Gallon Nano Reef Tank
    2 Empty 40 Gallon Tanks

Post Thanks / Like

Well in that case mine are well socialized lmao. They have had quite a few different tank mates (Moving them around from tank to tank as they grow) maybe thats why they get along so well hehehe.
    180 Gallon, 110 Gallon Long, 75 gallon, 55 gallon, 55 gallon, and 40 gallon breeder.

Post Thanks / Like
    i've had my O's for over one and a half year now, they've spawned several times, unlucky for me the female had pop-eye when i rescued her and she never got better. there are alot of fish you can add to an oscar tank, convicts, severums, silverdollars, knifefish, Jack dempsey, angelfish, ... anything big enough to not fit their mouth and not african (agressive) will work.
    RTC is very dangerous, in the future it might see your Oscar as a snack, same goes for the aro if it's a silver one.

Post Thanks / Like
    for the rtcxtsn you'll need at least a 2000g tank, such as divine hammer's

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RollerDJ Click here to enlarge
    What other fish would be safe from a oscar that size? Can't be to many that won't be a snack.
    Ive seen a rather large oscar in a display tank that wasn't eating fish maybe 3-5cm i guess it depends on the way its raised and if its hungry and aggressive dont it? or do all fish just go im bigger then you mofo get in my stomach?

Post Thanks / Like
    pretty much, the way it goes, unless it's a pleco in which case it goes leave me alone or I will open a can of whoop ass, but in general most larger fish will generally eat the smaller ones, just nature.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!