Thread: Soil for aquarium

Post Thanks / Like

Soil for aquarium

Hi,
    I was wondering if I could use Nature's care organic Garden Soil by Miracle-Gro in my aquarium, like under my substrate to give my plants some nutrients.Click here to enlarge

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    i would fill a 5gal bucket 1/2 full with the "soil" and fill with water and mix will. Remove the bark and sticks that float to the top. Let it set for a day or two and when the old lady is not looking get the veggie strainer/colander out of the kitchen and get the rest of the wood chips and rocks out. Let the water evaporate to the consistency you need.

P.S. Clean the strainer/colander GOOD before replacing in its proper spot!..Click here to enlarge
    P.S.S. Let us know how it goes!..Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HillbillyHomer Click here to enlarge
    i would fill a 5gal bucket 1/2 full with the "soil" and fill with water and mix will. Remove the bark and sticks that float to the top. Let it set for a day or two and when the old lady is not looking get the veggie strainer/colander out of the kitchen and get the rest of the wood chips and rocks out. Let the water evaporate to the consistency you need.

P.S. Clean the strainer/colander GOOD before replacing in its proper spot!..Click here to enlarge
    P.S.S. Let us know how it goes!..Click here to enlarge
    Thanks! I will follow your instructions but is that soil safe for aquariums?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a good example a little diyfishkeepers collaboration dirt mix
    i use plain old topsoil from a bag (processed) caped with cheap cat liter and rocks.
    You will need to test your water after letting it fully cycle.

P.S. i have not used that soil so i dont know if its safe. Would i try it?
    Click here to enlarge...Yes...Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the noobie questions but how would I test my water if I used that soil?

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL the only way to learn is trial and error and/or asking questions...Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge...Questions are cheaper then errors...Click here to enlarge
    Use water test kits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hay Andhon What kind of plants and fish you going to be keeping in the tank?..Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Hay Andhon What kind of plants and fish you going to be keeping in the tank?..Click here to enlarge
    I'm forsure keeping hairgrass maybe another carpet plant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge...Thank you for the idea...Click here to enlarge
    Dwarf hairgrass would go good in that bare spot in my tank!
    guppy t.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge...Thank you for the idea...Click here to enlarge
    Dwarf hairgrass would go good in that bare spot in my tank!
    guppy t.jpg
    Haha yeah it would look nice in that spot, but for fish I have not thought about it yet, but forsure gonna have Siamese Algey eatters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure you do not get a (Garra Taeniata) looks like a siamese algae eater but will grow and stop eating algae and tear up your tank.

Identifying the Siamese Algae Eater

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure you do not get a (Garra Taeniata) looks like a siamese algae eater but will grow and stop eating algae and tear up your tank.

Identifying the Siamese Algae Eater
    Will do, I went to a fish store a while ago and they sold me two flying foxes with my other Siamese Algey Eatters haha played

Post Thanks / Like
    i use plain old topsoil from a bag (processed)
    The problem I have found with bagged topsoil at least in my experience locally is that there is no consistency in what you get beyond it being garbage... I'm in a topsoil rich area, where I can get local bulk topsoil that is pitch black and loaded with organic nutrients scraped off the top of the latest new neighborhood or commercial developement, while the topsoil sold it bags locally is utter crap, it's about 50% sand and about 25% clay with just enough 'dirt' tossed into give it a soil look... The only growing use I have found for the local bagged topsoil it is to add to real topsoil or planting medium to improve drainage Click here to enlarge

Of course since topsoil varries by region and bagging location, the bagged stuff might very well be better in other places...

Post Thanks / Like
    The bagged stuff in this area is about 50% wood mulch,chip and splinters...Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    The bagged stuff in this area is about 50% wood mulch,chip and splinters...Click here to enlarge
    In the potting soil?

Post Thanks / Like
    Topsoil...Click here to enlarge...not potting soil

Post Thanks / Like
    Topsoil...Click here to enlarge...not potting soil
    Oh Haha which one did you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately i have found this in the bagged topsoil from walmart,home depot,menards.
    i dont by the crap any more i call one of the youngins and thy dig it out of river bottom for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately i have found this in the bagged topsoil from walmart,home depot,menards.
    i dont by the crap any more i call one of the youngins and thy dig it out of river bottom for me.
    Really? Damn you didnt use a strainer or something to take out the big chunks Haha what brand of topsoil did you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL
    i would fill a 5gal bucket 1/2 full with the "soil" and fill with water and mix will. Remove the bark and sticks that float to the top. Let it set for a day or two and when the old lady is not looking get the veggie strainer/colander out of the kitchen and get the rest of the wood chips and rocks out. Let the water evaporate to the consistency you need. Click here to enlarge
    Whatever was cheapest. The store brand stuff.