Thread: Uh... hi. I'm oldmobie.

Post Thanks / Like

Uh... hi. I'm oldmobie.

I live in SW Missouri, where I'm running an aquaponics setup, with the goal of keeping it as cheap as possible. I got an IBC tote for $20, found a little leftover lumber and sand, and picked up a Harbor Freight fountain pump for ~$19. Chop and flip the top, support it on the base with lumber, fill it with sand, plumb the pump and stock with 20-25 feeder goldfish, and ta-da, it's aquaponics. Wasn't long before someone told me keeping the grow bed always flooded was a recipe for an anaerobic cesspool. I didn't want to teach myself bell siphons, so I put the pump on a timer. It runs for half an hour, four times a day. The sand floods and drains, so it stays moist but gets exposed to oxygen, so bonus: biological filter!

Fast forward about three years, most of the fish are alive, haven't found a dead one in over a year. Within the last two weeks I've added two dozen (bait) minnows, a pleco and three cories. They aren't producing enough nitrogen for the plants, so fertilizer helps. The water is crazy murky. I had thought the sand was acting as a mechanical filter too, but apparently not. This is my third day using Joey's bottle, quilt batting and powerhead filter. (I made two bottles. I swap them several times a day, and wash the one that isn't in use with unclorinated well water.) At more than 250 gallons, it isn't clearing very fast, but this morning I could see to the bottom of the bottle, so: progress. (Did I mention it was really murky?) By the way, the powerhead, batting and a bag of miscelaneous accesories came from a thrift store, on half price day. Got it all for about $2.

So, I stumbled onto the Kingof DIY channel when I was trying to find how to make a cheap filter. I've watched a bunch of the videos now. I've gotten an idea or two about what else I can do. Watch for me, I'll be around on the other threads shortly for some advice on sizing and building the next step. Thanks for having me, folks.

- oldmobie

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlargeAnother MissourianClick here to enlarge

Welcome to diyfk.
    Click here to enlarge...Look foreword to seeing photos of your setup...Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mobie,

Hi and welcome....Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

- oldmobie

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge...Sweet!...Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome
    Support your local fish store or you will not have one!