Thread: Opinions on UnderSand Jet System for 125 Gallon (includes build list.

DIYFK member LaliberteFamilyAquatics's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Opinions on UnderSand Jet System for 125 Gallon (includes build list.

Hey guys, I wanted to get some opinions, feedback, etc. on one of the custom things I have made for my 125 Gallon Tank. My main filtration will be done using a Fluval FX6 but I made this under sand jet system which I hope will help keep the sand from settling and having air pockets. It is all 1/2" PVC and the pump is a KEDSUM 660GPH Submersible Pump which cost me only $20.99 from Amazon. All in this project including pump and all PVC Straight Tubing and Fittings was less than $30 total.

**Some advice for newbies when it comes to PVC Straight Tubing. Never, ever buy the 2 foot lengths from Home Depot. A full 10 foot length of PVC is cheaper than buying one single 2 foot length of precut PVC. Buy the 10 foot length & cut it yourself. You will save a ton of money!

For a tank measuring 72" x 18" you will need the following.

(2x) 10' Lengths of 1/2" PVC
    (4x) 90 Fittings 1/2" PVC
    (7x) Tee Fittings 1/2" PVC

Instructions:
    Cut:
    5x 16" Lengths
    8x 17" Lengths
    1x 6" - 12" Length (depending how low or high you want your pump.)

Depending on your pump chosen you will have to cut one of the above lengths and insert a Tee Fitting.

**NOTE: Keep in mind that you want the pump fully submerged even when doing water changes so you want to keep it in the lower 1/2 of the tank.

Jet_Filter_Under_Sand.JPG

Jet_Filter_Under_Sand_2.JPG

Let me know what you think.

thanks,
    Joshua
    Laliberte Family Aquatics
    Last edited by LaliberteFamilyAquatics; 03-26-2019 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Added content
    .:Check out our Youtube Channel:.
    46 Gallon - Arowana, 2x Oscar's & 3 Pleco's | 100 Gallon - Red Eared Slider | 46 Gallon - Turtle, Albino Pacu Piranha & Pleco | 10 Gallon - Breeding Guppies

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting idea. I would think that the smaller the pump, the better so sand isn't permanently suspended in the water ?