Thread: First project, need help!

Post Thanks / Like

First project, need help!

Hey guys, I'm looking to start building my very first DIY aquarium. The 5.5mm glass that I have is suited for a 48"x12"x12" sized aquarium. I'm wondering if I'll be needing any sort of bracing for these particular dimensions.

Any help would be apreciated guys, cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that 48"long 12"deep 12"height?
    Click here to enlarge...Either way i would go with a brace to be safe just in case...Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HillbillyHomer Click here to enlarge
    Is that 48"long 12"deep 12"height?
    Click here to enlarge...Either way i would go with a brace to be safe just in case...Click here to enlarge
    Thanks alot for taking the time to answer!

Yes, it's 48"long 12"deep 12"height. I've only got a few 48"x12" glass sheets. And I was thinking I could also make some sliding lids out of those too.

What sort of bracing do you recommend? A smaller glass panels that connect the side walls on the top? Would only one work? Or do I need a couple?
    Also, as per building method should I do get the side panels built on top of the bottom panel or have them surround the bottom panel?

Again, thank you so much for any help that you can provide, it's much apreciated!