Thread: Modifying off the shelf stand

Post Thanks / Like

Modifying off the shelf stand

Hello all,
    My situation has changed and I am moving into a 1 bedroom apartment (sudden company move). Wall space is at a premium but I think I can wiggle an aquarium in if I use it to act as a room divider, with the short end against the wall.

Something like this is my goal.
    aquarium-room-divider-idea-for-the-home-pinterest-aquariums-exotic-fish-tank-magnificent-1.jpg

Easy enough to do with a custom build, but along with the sudden move to the apartment, I have also sold off the larger equipment in my workshop. I'll build things back up when things settle. Till then, Iím limited to hand power tools.

Iím looking to buy a standard 45 gallon tall tank, canopy, & stand, then modify so that the back side of stand and canopy is presentable to the room. Should be easy for the stand to sand, router the edge, then slap a door/hinge in a contrasting color. However, Iím not certain how to handle the canopy.
    Looking for ideas, suggestions, or things to look out for.

-Disclaimer-
    I do not currently own *anything* described above. I will not be able to answer any questions asking about what I have regarding construction, materials, brands, dimensions, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Forgot to mention that all the canopies I've been able to locate are open and hinge in the back. If I could find one solid in the back or hinged differently...

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the clear plastic, corrugated sheets on all of my aquariums. Lighting is LED (multi-color) bars. Cheaper and "very" functional....

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen that, and will most likely integrate something like that into the system.

However, I'm looking for something with more presentation. This will be in the main entryway. Think Canopy rather than Hood.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I did home remodeling, I literally built cabinets on saw horses in the people's driveways with basically just a portable table saw, circular saw and chop saw...

I'm not saying they were cabinet shop grade builds, but they were every bit presentable and dare I say of equal quality to low end cabinets you purchase in a big box store...

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Meep; 03-14-2019 at 08:21 PM. Reason: double post

Post Thanks / Like
    In my continuing education on this project I have learned that the type of aquarium setup I am looking for it called a 'Peninsula'. Knowing what to call it is always a good thing. Click here to enlarge

I've done several done several internet searches and have not found anything 'non-custom'.

If anyone is aware of off the shelf options for a 45 gal tall peninsula style aquarium stand/canopy, please let me know.

Thanx
    Sterling

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Meep Click here to enlarge
    When I did home remodeling, I literally built cabinets on saw horses in the people's driveways with basically just a portable table saw, circular saw and chop saw...

I'm not saying they were cabinet shop grade builds, but they were every bit presentable and dare I say of equal quality to low end cabinets you purchase in a big box store...
    I have done stand and canopies before. As you say, not cabinet shop grade builds, but I have a good feel for what is involved. Before my move this would have been an option. Sadly, I no longer have my table saw, chop saw, and most importantly, do not have a driveway or even a large room to work from.

I feel I have the resources to do some minor modification to a stand/canopy setup, but not a 'from-scratch build. (YMMV) As I see it, the main challenge is with the canopy as I can't seem to locate an off the shelf option I feel can be easily modified. Everything seems to be open and hinged in the back. Open is not a big issue, but I don't know how to handle moving the location of the hinging with my current resources. If only I could locate something hinged in the middle.

-sterling