Thread: water storage

Post Thanks / Like

water storage

in my fish house which is a insulated metal shed i cant have a water inlet as my shed is not near my house.
    anyone any recommendations for how i can store water inside my shed for water changes

Post Thanks / Like
    Plastic garbage can, or plastic barrel...

My fish tanks are on the other side of the house from any water supply so I actually did this inside my house, I picked up a heavy duty 39 gallon trash can, most people in the US recommend Rubbermaid Brute brand...

What I did to mine was I got a generic wave maker on Ebay, stuck it to a china dinner plate (to act as a base) and dropped it into the bottom of the trash can angled up at about 45 degrees, I then hung a 100 Watt fish heater over the edge of the can making sure it didn't hit the bottom, because of the wave maker is moving the water 24/7 the heater also doesn't rest against the side of the can and is constantly moving around a bit (so no worries about burns) I then fill the can and put the lid on... I also picked up a small garden fountain pump, making sure it had enough head height to get up to my tanks... When I'm ready to do a water change I drop the fountain pump in the garbage can and I have 39 gallons of water already at the perfect temp right next to the tanks...

Post Thanks / Like
    How big is the shed?
    i would look at large 30/55gal food grade plastic drums.

Post Thanks / Like
    shed is roughly 10x9 feet and another shed 8x9 feet
    i was thinking of a food grade drum, would the water be ok and not stale?
    could i add a heater to it so its at temp and air line etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by john67 Click here to enlarge
    i was thinking of a food grade drum, would the water be ok and not stale?
    could i add a heater to it so its at temp and air line etc
    As I posted above, I have a heater and wavemaker inside the garbage can I use to, it keep the water heated to the same temp as the tanks and aerated aka moving so it isn't stagnant...

I just snapped this picture, not the best as the moving water reflects a lot of light, but you can see the wavemaker attached to the dinner plate in the middle, the heater off to the right and even the floating thermometer off to the left, you can also see the fountain pump hose off to the right... As you can see by the angle of the heater the wavemaker creates basically a whirlpool in the can... Oh and an FYI that is a cheap Ebay Chinese heater and Chinese wavemaker, they have been working 24/7 for a few years now without an issue even though they both were dirt cheap...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190305-182015.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    My 5gal with heater and air.
    water.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks hh, thanks meep,something for me to think over

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhhh......"Necessity", the Mother of Invention....Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge