Thread: Concrete Block Stand?

Post Thanks / Like

Concrete Block Stand?

I'm buying or building a 5ft x 2ft x 2ft aquarium and I was wondering what are your thoughts on a stand using concrete blocks? It's just one of many ideas but I like to have options and plan for each one. I wont be starting this till autumn.

I'm in two minds tbh as people are saying they are brittle and crumble easily but at the same time they are more than strong enough.

The tank is going in an alcove which is around 6ft 8" wide x 7ft high and ideally I'd like the outer blocks to be around the 6ft mark with a little over hang from the boards sitting on top. Id also like the make it in to a shelving unit if I could.

Ta

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Concrete blocks are plenty strong, and many people use them for tanks stands... Per international standards load-bearing concrete blocks have to support at least 1,700 pounds per square inch, work the numbers and you will see that your tank is nowhere near that heavy... That said, an uneven block could put uneven pressure on the blocks above and below it and cause stress or cracking, that is why mortar is used as a cushion between blocks, for a tank stand it might be a good idea to get some brick adhesive (the kind they use for outdoor patio walls) and glue the blocks together to provide this small cushion layer between them, albeit its probably not necessary in most cases, I have seen stacked cinder blocks with nothing between them supporting a lot of weight for a lot of years with no signs of issues...

That said you have to factor in overall support of the tank, most tanks require support along the entire perimeter, thus you need a no bowing top on top of the blocks to take care of this unless you create a perimeter of blocks, hope that makes sense...

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a 1040 case tractor that as been siting on blocks for over five years with on problems.
    i would use 3/4" plywood under the tank to help support.

P.S. make sure blocks are dry before using adhesive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Meep Click here to enlarge
    Concrete blocks are plenty strong, and many people use them for tanks stands... Per international standards load-bearing concrete blocks have to support at least 1,700 pounds per square inch, work the numbers and you will see that your tank is nowhere near that heavy... That said, an uneven block could put uneven pressure on the blocks above and below it and cause stress or cracking, that is why mortar is used as a cushion between blocks, for a tank stand it might be a good idea to get some brick adhesive (the kind they use for outdoor patio walls) and glue the blocks together to provide this small cushion layer between them, albeit its probably not necessary in most cases, I have seen stacked cinder blocks with nothing between them supporting a lot of weight for a lot of years with no signs of issues...

That said you have to factor in overall support of the tank, most tanks require support along the entire perimeter, thus you need a no bowing top on top of the blocks to take care of this unless you create a perimeter of blocks, hope that makes sense...
    Yes it does make sense, if I decide to go this route I would definitely be using some sort of mortar just for peace of mind. Regardless of what stand I build it will most likely be over kill anyway tbh.

Ta.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HillbillyHomer Click here to enlarge
    We have a 1040 case tractor that as been siting on blocks for over five years with on problems.
    i would use 3/4" plywood under the tank to help support.

P.S. make sure blocks are dry before using adhesive.
    I was planning on some sort of timber underneath as the plan is to have a couple of shelves above the tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used Cinder Blocks as tank stands for years and love them. They can be painted (spray method) just about any color you want. I use Particle Board or OSB as the platform to seat the tank (I usually also paint these to match the blocks). I actually trust the structural integrity of the blocks more than I do some of the stands I have seen built of metals or wood....

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FLDave Click here to enlarge
    I've used Cinder Blocks as tank stands for years and love them. They can be painted (spray method) just about any color you want. I use Particle Board or OSB as the platform to seat the tank (I usually also paint these to match the blocks). I actually trust the structural integrity of the blocks more than I do some of the stands I have seen built of metals or wood....
    Just seen this, I've got three ideas in mind for a stand and this is one of them. Luckily I'm not starting this project till Autumn so I've got time to pick one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that I think about, I have seen rims stolen off f150's and the truck to be left on cinder blocks.
    I love this idea.

Considering your tank at about 1200-1300 lbs I think your going to be fine!

Lol I was worried about a 125g tank and if it was able to support that.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I stated above, when you work that math using international building standards, a typical hollow cinderblock (about 50% hollow) has a load bearing of over 100,000 lbs (50 tons) each, absolutely no worries as long as you pad and level the cinderblock to properly distribute the load evenly...