Thread: Colored glass?

Post Thanks / Like

Colored glass?

I have a glass shop near me who specializes in custom glass. I was thinking about building a new tank and thought of making the back glass a deep blue instead of painting it. Are there any reasons why this wouldn't work? Would it affect the light in any way? Reflections or potentially any growth issues? I do understand that over time somethings may/will grow over it covering the blue. But that's the only negative thing I've been able to research on this topic.

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest concern is what they used to color the glass, some glass colorants are toxic and will leach into the tank, others will not...

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds really cool!

My concern would be any light coming in from the back disrupting the color.

I know people will use LEDs and change the color of their lighting to get their fish to pop best. I'm thinking of people using red lights especially to get their red mammons to really pop and look even more red.

But anyway, if you install colored glass that's more a permanent choice and in the future you might not like the way any blue tinted light coming in from the back makes your fish look.

Anyway, I doubt that will be a problem because we don't usually have light coming in from behind our tanks because they usually are backed against walls. So that shouldn't be a problem at all.

Sooooo, in conclusion, I think it sounds like a really fun idea and if you go ahead and do it I hope you share pictures. I'd be really eager to see the kind of aesthetic it gives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Other than the "much" increased cost of colored glass over spray painting........can't see any real reason for concern.