Thread: 50 lowboy

Post Thanks / Like

50 lowboy

what the best filters for 50 gallon lowboy I thinking a sponge filter with a whisper 3 box I going to get shell dwellers

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you want the best or do you want something that is perfectly adequate?

One could argue but a fluidized bet is for all intents the 'best' filter system out there, but it's also generally overkill for most...

What is a whisper 3 box? Are you talking about the little Whisper 3i filter for 1-3 gallon tanks?

50 gallons is a lot of water, you will need a significant sized and turn over rate sponge filter unless you only put one or two fish in there...

Are you on a budget? If so I would say a properly sized hang on back would be a good budget filter, if you have a little more money then a canister system might be an option...

Post Thanks / Like
    A Whisper 3 is now called a Whisper 60 made for 60 gallons .I bought them 30 years ago every one wanted them at least around here . I used the same ones for years replacing parts when needed and they had charcoal inserts . I used them on 55 and even then I did not know much but I did not think they were not strong enough filter so always used a under gravel filter with either air pump or powerhead .Now after getting youtube. I learned from aquarium channels like Joey D.I.Y. I use lava rock instead of inserts and sponge for intake .I do have a Sun Sun H.W.304 B and Eheim 2215 Canister Filter .I just hate them because there a pain in the ass always hard to keep up a box filters are a lot easier .I am using a under gravel and a Whisper3 on my 75 what I was thinking getting a new Aquaclear rated for 100 gallons and put it on the 75 and the whisper 3 on the 50 lowboy .I just got the fifty for xmas so I am exploring options. But I know I going to get some kind shell dweller with a sand bottom so no under gravel filter .I was thinking of a sponge instead

m

Post Thanks / Like
    A hang on back properly sized is perfectly adequate for filtration, it's what I use on most of my tanks... With the sponge on the intake of the Whisper filled with lava rock you should be fine...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot you are always helpful