Thread: UNDERGRAVEL FILTER UP LIFT TUBE

Post Thanks / Like

UNDERGRAVEL FILTER UP LIFT TUBE

I use under gravel filters on most of my tanks do I need up lift tube or just putting the long tube in the round hole good en ough

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge...Pics will help greatly...Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Uplift Tube..........Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    You really need a lift tube of some sort to create a 'suction', it doesn't have to be the original tube, but it has to be some sort of tube over the hole (make sure it's not bottomed out on the bottom of the tank) the bubbles going up the tube will create a small suction at the bottom that pulls water through the gravel, albeit it's a week suction, and powerheads on the tops of the lift tubes work better...

Be aware, although under gravel filters were all the rage at one point, they are not the best filter option to choose from today... Don't get me wrong they DO work, as long as you routinely clean the gravel with a gravel vac you can have a healthy tank but you need to keep up with cleaning. But, even then they are nowhere as efficient at bio filtering as other modern choices and they do very little mechanical filtering... I would personally consider them a 'redundant secondary' filter nowadays if you choose to use them...

Post Thanks / Like
    I always used powerheads on both end tubes, leaving the middle open. I used under gravel for years but, gave up on it because I was never really that impressed with results.