Thread: Drilling tank weakens glass?

Post Thanks / Like

Drilling tank weakens glass?

Hello everyone. Just joined and this is my first post. I hope this question hasn't been answered 500 times, if so my apologies. I'm picking up a glass 120 48"24"24". I haven't seen the tank so I don't know how thick the glass is on the back. I'm planning to drill for a BA overflow. I heard some talk about not drilling a 24" tall tank with glass less than 5/8 thick because the holes would structurally weaken the glass. Reading through the beam animal posts on his overflow, I don't remember seeing anything about glass thickness. Any input from you guys would be great, thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge...Hello and welcome...Click here to enlarge
    i dont know about the glass hole thickness = weakness part but make sure it is Not tempered glass!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Homer. Yeah, if its tempered I won't buy it. I know if you drill a couple of holes in anything I'll will create a weak point, I just dont know if its something I need to worry about.

Post Thanks / Like
    A properly drilled (clean) hole, not to close to the edges, not overly large for the panel size, not to close together, and not in high numbers with a properly fitted bulkhead (that isn't stressing the area) for all intents doesn't weaken the glass any amount that one would worry about in this application...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Meep. I'll drill those holes Goldilocks style..... just right�� I didn't think about the bulkheads adding strength