Thread: 125 gallon seam split apart. Need help!

Post Thanks / Like

125 gallon seam split apart. Need help!

So I recently acquired a new 125 gallon from somebody that the front panel was separating from one the side panels a good amount. Knowing the aquarium could be resealed I bought it anyway , in order for this to be fixed do I have to take the entire aquarium apart and just reseal the whole thing or could I just remove that 1 panel and reseal it their
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20180910-115637_Chrome.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    The whole thing IMO, new silicone will not stick to the old silicone and water will find it's way inside the seam then you'll likely have your own blowout. Not only that but anytime you buy an aquarium second hand from someone that you don't personally know you may want to reseal the thing anyway because you don't know the history of the tank, how or if it has ever been resealed, or if they knew how to do it in the first place.

I have a 90G aquarium sitting in my living room right now that I am resealing, there did not appear to be any damage to the seams, the silicone was not in bad shape, And when I talked to the previous owner they were forthcoming with its history because I told them upfront that I was gonna give them their asking price as it was entirely reasonable. I made the choice to reseal the tank because it had sat out in a shed the past year through winter. My point is it's better sometimes to just assume when buying a second-hand tank that resealing it is likely, at least then you know when it was done/ how it was done.
    WoodFill and paint will make you the handyman you Ain't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge...Reseal the whole thing or make sure you have good flood insurance...Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    What Homer said.......Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    So would you take the whole tank apart and redo it or just reseal the inside

Post Thanks / Like
    i would take the whole tank apart. That will make it easier to remove ALL the old silicone.
    AS tspell09 stated
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by B_Type13X2 Click here to enlarge
    New silicone will not stick to old silicone

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok cool so I'll do that then just follow Joey's video on how to build a aquarium. With one this big would you recommend some type of clamps to put a little pressure on the side while they cure

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure you use "lots" of acetone to get rid of any/all residual silicon before reapplying and, YES, to the clamp question.

Have fun........Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge