Thread: 10ft acrylic aquarium with 8ft sheets - butt joint two sheets?

Post Thanks / Like

10ft acrylic aquarium with 8ft sheets - butt joint two sheets?

So I've got a 10ft space with a choice of either 5+5ft, 4+6ft, or a single 10ft. Or I guess I could do 3+7 or 8+2, but they don't appeal to me.

So obviously a 10ft tank would be great, but I can't get hold of 10ft acrylic at a sensible price, as far as I can tell, which would mean I'd need to join two 5ft pieces (or, I guess, 3+4+3 or something, if it would be better not to have the joint at the halfway point)

Is this possible? And if so, is it sensible? And assuming the answer to both of the above is yes, how would I go about it? Should I reinforce the joint, for example? Or would a simple weld, like the other seams, suffice?

Post Thanks / Like
    If I were doing it I'd do the joint with Weldon 42 personally. I have clamps I've made for this purpose. They are the relatively cheap clamps from at any home store that look like big clothes pins. If you connect 2-4+ together screw them together attached to a flat ridged board like surface. You want to make at least two sets like this then clip the tops and bottoms of one sheet, butt up the second sheet, and clip it in place. a wood clamp placed length wise along the whole mess can help if you have one that's not too heavy to weigh the entire thing down. With Weldon 42 you don't want a super tight fit, you have to leave a very small gap to allow the liquid to run or you have a dry joint. Fill the joint and tighten just enough to remove bubbles. Once cured you will need to sand, wet sand and buff the joint out but if you do this correctly you can end up with a museum quality seam that's almost 100% see through. If dome correctly and the material is sized correctly you can put this seam anywhere and have it unnoticed bit I would still aim for an off center placement away from the best viewing area just in case it's not 100%. If this is a first attempt at this kind of joint I highly recommend getting extra acrylic scraps and practicing untill your comfortable with the process and confident in turning out an acceptable seam. If it gets really messed up the only good way to fix is to cut it out and start over. The ways to fix this kind of seam would be horrible from an asthetic sense. I've also seen this done with a front and/or back piece with the joint sandwiched between, this does work very well but will require more sanding to get a flush clear viewing surface. Good luck!!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I know I pic is worth 1000 words so here's an example of clamping. I'm not auctually joining the two pieces so ignore the fact that the paper isn't pulled back. I would personally join these piece like this with the seam horizontal, I'd do a small bead on the 'back' and allow it to sit for a few seconds so it stops running but is still very workable. Then I would angle the entire piece very very slightly back twords the back bead and fill from the front to get a nice clear bond straight through.KIMG1007.jpeg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I would seam 2.5 feet onto the end of an 8 foot sheet, it puts the seam off center and If you screw up, you can simply cut the seam out and try again without buying new material... You easily get 3+ tries doing it this way before you have to consider buying new material... On the other hand if you try seaming two 5 foot, if you attempt to seam two 5 foot sheets and blow it, then you are in a bind, as you now need a new 6 foot sheet... I guess you could try seaming a 5 foot and 5.5 so you have the fudge room, but I would personally avoid the seam in the middle if at all possible...

Also due to risk and cost of DIY it might be worth the piece of mind to just pay an experienced acrylic fabricator to do the seam, something to consider...