Thread: Triangle aquarium?

Post Thanks / Like

Triangle aquarium?

Hello all,

I have been tossing around the idea of doing a paludarium. My goal is to have a water feature in the house that I can have terrestrial plants and maybe some crabs. If I do full paludarium it would obviously cost more that doing the island idea.

So my question is, can you do a three sided glass, plywood bottom aquarium out of a 40gal breeder tank? I would have to have one piece of glass cut since using the bottom glass would end up be taller.

I haven't found anything completed, just people talking about doing one.

I guess I don't understand what is the difficulty/problems that this design would create.

If anyone on here has seen this completed please let me know. Otherwise I could do two sides plywood with glass front.

Thanks,

TaTaco

Post Thanks / Like
    The only problem i can see offhand is you dont get much space to work with.
    P.S. Click here to enlarge...Hello and welcome to DIYFK...Click here to enlarge
    trya 2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Howdy Hillbilly,

So I measured the 40gal tank. The long side is 3'. That would give me a total height of 3'4.25" on your green axis value.

I had seen where people said you had to bevel the edges of the glass. Would this bee true or not necessary.

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TaTaco Click here to enlarge
    I would have to have one piece of glass cut since using the bottom glass would end up be taller.
    There is a good chance the bottom is tempered if so you won't be cutting that at all... Double check and confirm before you attempt any cutting...

Beyond that you can do a triangle but the corners are not going to look pretty or be all that structurally sound unless you bevel cut the corners... You could try overlapping the corners like cheap hex tanks, but IMO that looks horrible...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Meep. I'm probably just going to keep it simple. There is a million ways to do this and I just need to figure out what isn't going to cost a small fortune. But also meets my wants without compromising do it the right way as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TaTaco Click here to enlarge
    Howdy Hillbilly,

So I measured the 40gal tank. The long side is 3'. That would give me a total height of 3'4.25" on your green axis value.

I had seen where people said you had to bevel the edges of the glass. Would this bee true or not necessary.

Thanks,
    LOL My bad i was thinking you were looking to do a three foot tall tank.