Thread: Controlling DIY yeast CO2

Post Thanks / Like

Controlling DIY yeast CO2

Hello All,
    I have a working yeast CO2 system that can be shut off at night (and doesn't explode) It also regulates the CO2 pressure and stores excess CO2 so once the bubble count is set it stays constant between yeast refills.
    The build methods and materials aren't much different from any soda bottle design but I have a description for building the system based on soda bottles and another larger version that is currently supplying a well lit 300litre (80USgln) tank with 30ppm. The big design just needs the yeast replaced every 6 weeks so convenience is also a reason to go large.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and Welcome.
    Click here to enlarge...Build pictures are always welcome...Click here to enlarge
    Like they say a pic is worth a thousand words.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice ideas for those that want to tackle a DIY version, although I have not done it yet, I did look into DIY CO2 and I just could not see myself DIYing this when at the end of the day a pressurized CO2 tank system is really not that costly and a whole lot less maintenance...

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm interested in the comparisons, anybody have an idea what the initial equipment and running costs are of pressurised (tank, extinguisher or canister) based systems are on something as big as 300 litre tank. I think the larger system equals the performance of the canister based systems but the running costs of these did seem to be quite high which is why I persevered with yeast.
    I run the big one on 2kg of sugar and 3 teaspoons of yeast and top-up 8 times a year. A yeast exchange takes 15-20 minutes. Yearly cost I guess is about 20 and 2 1/2 hours of work.
    Last year I plugged a home brew set into it and that worked well, then I saw a mention of making rum with the spent yeast in another post.... Never tried that though.
    Regards,
    AtM

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andy the Minion Click here to enlarge
    I'm interested in the comparison
    So many variables to be considered, especially the price of local CO2 refilling can vary all over the place and the size of the tank you get also plays a huge part in the refill price per pound...

There are also variables to consider for the cylinder, different up front and running cost for buying vs deposit and exchange, and also recertification of the tanks if you do buy...

Although I have not set it up yet, I got all of my tanks used for pennies on the dollar used, they will need to be recertified before filling but that is only about $20 and for the larger tanks it's about $1/lb to fill...

Usage is always in the wind, but from reading multiple post across the internet and getting an average appears 10-12lbs should last about a year, on a day run system only...

Post Thanks / Like
    unless I missed them could you please post the pictures?

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry the pictures showed up thanks