Thread: 140 gallon aquarium project

Post Thanks / Like

140 gallon aquarium project

Hey everyone. I just finished up the stand for my 140 gallon glass aquarium with 3/8” glass panels. I have been researching how to take apart and put back together a glass aquarium and have found a lot of valuable information, but nothing has boosted my confidence yet. Today I was cutting out the old silicone from inside the tank and found the silicone between the glass panels is separating. So it looks like I need to pull it completely apart and silicone it all back together. Definitely not something I wanted to wind up doing. I’ve tried this before with a 175 gallon glass aquarium, and was unsuccessful. I would love to find a professional in my area that has experience doing this sort of thing. I have been looking for that professional and can not find anyone. I live in Roseville California, if anyone knows someone please refer me to he or she. Now if I do wind up attempting this on my own again I will need some good tips on how to attack this the right way. I already have plenty of scs1200 silicone, razor blades, acetone, and brand new plastic top and bottom frames from “over the edge aquarium frames”. Besides some extra helping hands, is there anything else I should use to make this easier, and a successful outcome?
    Thanks in advance.
    Nick
    Click here to enlarge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO.....anyone that can construct a stand such as yours, can certainly re-silicone a tank....with practice. Make sure that you have removed "all" of the old silicone by repeated scraping with "new" razor blades for each round of scraping. Acetone, Acetone and then....Acetone again. Lay substantial beads where glass will meet glass. Clamp and silicone corners/bottom before your beads begin to set. Force silicone into joints using your finger or (as I have done) use a corner tool some use when applying caulk to tubs. CLAMP and leave alone for several days to allow silicone to fully cure. Fill tank "very slowly" and check joints for leaks which, if you have followed regimen above, you "shouldn't" find...Click here to enlarge

Have faith in your abilities.........Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like

140 gallon aquarium project

Thank you for the confidence boost. I am going to give it a shot. I have plenty of scs1200. Worst case scenario, if it doesn’t work out for me, I did find a company who is really close to where I live that will pull the whole tank apart and glue it all back together again for $200.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FLDave Click here to enlarge
    IMHO.....anyone that can construct a stand such as yours, can certainly re-silicone a tank....with practice. Make sure that you have removed "all" of the old silicone by repeated scraping with "new" razor blades for each round of scraping. Acetone, Acetone and then....Acetone again. Lay substantial beads where glass will meet glass. Clamp and silicone corners/bottom before your beads begin to set. Force silicone into joints using your finger or (as I have done) use a corner tool some use when applying caulk to tubs. CLAMP and leave alone for several days to allow silicone to fully cure. Fill tank "very slowly" and check joints for leaks which, if you have followed regimen above, you "shouldn't" find...Click here to enlarge

Have faith in your abilities.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Pushrod Click here to enlarge
    Thank you for the confidence boost. I am going to give it a shot. I have plenty of scs1200. Worst case scenario, if it doesn’t work out for me, I did find a company who is really close to where I live that will pull the whole tank apart and glue it all back together again for $200.

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge