Thread: Center Bracing

Post Thanks / Like

Center Bracing

I picked up a 150g for free! Unfortunately, the plastic bracing is broken both top and bottom. Looking for advice on removing the plastic trim and using glass to brace the tank. How wide should I cut the glass to ensure least amount of bowing? Should I use two braces? Tank dimensions are 5'x2'x2'. It is a seamless front with euro bracing already installed on the bottom. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Plastic, in my experience, usually is easily removed by forcing a razor knife between the trim and tank. Removing trim can be as easy as cutting through a couple of beads of silicon or.......as difficult as having to cut through a continuous bead, all the way around the tank.

I wouldn't trust anything narrower than 4" for bracing and I would use at least two.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FLDave Click here to enlarge
    Plastic, in my experience, usually is easily removed by forcing a razor knife between the trim and tank. Removing trim can be as easy as cutting through a couple of beads of silicon or.......as difficult as having to cut through a continuous bead, all the way around the tank.

I wouldn't trust anything narrower than 4" for bracing and I would use at least two.....
    Thanks FLDave, I origanally thought of one large center brace layered. Wider on the lower then less wide on the closest to the top of the tank stepped so yo speak, 8in then 6in. But then I thought just use two braces. I got myself confused. I am trying to make sure it is as syrong as I can make it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also for bracing it's recommended that you use the same thickness glass as the tank is built from (you can laminate two pieces if you need to), also if the tank is tempered step up the thickness one size for the braces since you will be using normal glass...

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Meep Click here to enlarge
    Also for bracing it's recommended that you use the same thickness glass as the tank is built from (you can laminate two pieces if you need to), also if the tank is tempered step up the thickness one size for the braces since you will be using normal glass...
    Meep,
    Thanks for the response and information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on your suggestions. I'll do two braces 5" wide with a doubler down the middle of each. Thanks.