Thread: 150 Gallon Tank Stand Build

Post Thanks / Like

150 Gallon Tank Stand Build

Hi All,
    Question about span of a 26, what is the greatest length I can span without a center post. I am building a stand for a 150 gallon tank, based on Joey's design. Tank dimensions are 5' x 2' x 2', stand dimensions are 60 1/2 25 1/2 x 40". The top frame is 26, bottom frame is 2x8. I am using 5 ea notched 4x4s for the main risers, with 2x6s or 28s on each corner. Three 44s on the back and two on the front. I'd like to keep the front of the stand open for viewing and sump access. I plan on using a 60 gallon for the sump. The actual front unsupported span is 50 1/2". Is this an accident waiting to happen? I am trying to uoload pics to no avail.

sloanrd

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally don't think you will have any issues what so ever with a clear span of 50 inches on a 2x6 for that tank size...

Most of these 2x lumber stands are way and I mean way over-engineered, always good to be safe but many times people over worry...

Post Thanks / Like
    What he said......Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Meep Click here to enlarge
    I personally don't think you will have any issues what so ever with a clear span of 50 inches on a 2x6 for that tank size...

Most of these 2x lumber stands are way and I mean way over-engineered, always good to be safe but many times people over worry...
    Thank you for yhe reply, Meep. My quandry was the 4 ft general rule of thumb. I have never biilt a stand for this big of a tank. I fear that 150 gallons of water would be on my floor! I have built stands for 75 gallon tanks using 2x4s and it went well. I guess I'm just nervous. Once I get the tank in place I'll put pics up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FLDave Click here to enlarge
    What he said......Click here to enlarge
    Thanks FLDave. I responded to Meep and it applies to you too!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think it will come anywhere close to collapsing, I am actually in the process of building my own stand right now out of 2X6's and 2X4's. My tank is a 125G and my sump is a 90G. The thing to remember about the best practices when it comes to structural is that they are the definitive this will hold without any issues. Now you're not using 2X4's you are using 2X8's, 2X6's and 4X4's for your supports, so you have alot more fudge factor built in as is. On my buddies welded stands we didn't put in a front support brace at all as he had a 100G homemade sump that wouldn't fit down there with a traditional bracing system. So what I did was welded in 2 additional long supports 1' below the upper tank support. I then cut 4 1' support struts at 45-degree angles. And welded them in place. I then added 3 additional horizontal support braces going across the added supports. The idea there was to carry/ support the tank ontop and stiffen the frame up.

In your case, 50" unsupported in the front but supported in the back is not something I would lose sleep over.
    WoodFill and paint will make you the handyman you Ain't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by B_Type13X2 Click here to enlarge
    I don't think it will come anywhere close to collapsing, I am actually in the process of building my own stand right now out of 2X6's and 2X4's. My tank is a 125G and my sump is a 90G. The thing to remember about the best practices when it comes to structural is that they are the definitive this will hold without any issues. Now you're not using 2X4's you are using 2X8's, 2X6's and 4X4's for your supports, so you have alot more fudge factor built in as is. On my buddies welded stands we didn't put in a front support brace at all as he had a 100G homemade sump that wouldn't fit down there with a traditional bracing system. So what I did was welded in 2 additional long supports 1' below the upper tank support. I then cut 4 1' support struts at 45-degree angles. And welded them in place. I then added 3 additional horizontal support braces going across the added supports. The idea there was to carry/ support the tank ontop and stiffen the frame up.

In your case, 50" unsupported in the front but supported in the back is not something I would lose sleep over.
    Thanks for the reply and info B_Type.