Thread: Need Advise with a second hand tank!

Post Thanks / Like

Need Advise with a second hand tank!

Hi Guys,

I am brand new at the hobby and have recently picked up a used 85 Gallon Tank.
    I am in the process of testing for leaks and will then give it a good clean.

My question is I think this tank has a built in 'sump' (i think thats what it is) at the back.
    It has 5no sections (pic below). Being brand new I am unsure as to what each section is used for?
    (1 of these sections goes down to an opening at the base of the tank.)

20180523_132400.jpg

If this dosnt make sense Apologies!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails images.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry i cant help with the sump. But i do have a question.

Click here to enlarge...You are filling the tank Full for the leak test aren't you?..Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HillbillyHomer Click here to enlarge
    But i do have a question.

Click here to enlarge...You are filling the tank Full for the leak test aren't you?..Click here to enlarge

Yup........don't find out you have a leak the way I did........Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    My guess is the section with slots is the "intake" to the filter. 2nd section likely had some type of foam block or other type of biological filtration. Third may have had carbon, more biological or other type of filtration. There are lots of different options. My guess is on that narrow chamber one of the 2 glass pieces doesn't go as l the way to the bottom, that pretty much forced all the water through it. If it is a big enough space it might be a good spot for a heater. The last chamber likely had a pump in it for a return to the tank.

Usually when these are set up, half the dividers in the sump go to the bottom and half go near the bottom. That way water goes over a divider, down through a medium, then under the divider and up through the next medium... then repeat, depending on how many dividers there are, until you get to the pump chamber.

I hope this makes sense.