Thread: Help!! Metal tank trim???

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Help!! Metal tank trim???

Please help!! I have looked everywhere for an answer for this question and can’t find it!! I have a 125g tank 72” long with 1/2” glass that I got used for a little of nothing. I have already taken it apart to rebuild it cuz the silicone was horrible. Some of the trim was missing and what was there was shot. The tank does have a floating bottom. (I would just as soon redo it to a flat bottom but that would require the sides having to be cut and I don’t want to have to fool with that)
    So my questions are:
    1. Even though it is a floating bottom, Can I have someone weld together a metal trim for a replacement trim? It would be made exactly like the trim that was taken off, which was under all 4 sides and back up the inside of all 4 sides and would extend out a little going around the entire perimeter of the bottom glass.
    2. If so, since it would be metal and much stronger than plastic how many cross braces would be needed?
    3. If not, what would be the difference of using that vs plastic trim? It would be attached to the tank with silicone just like the plastic trim is...so the glass would’nt come into direct contact with the metal risking the glass to be broken....
    Thank you in advance!!
    Nipsmom13
    Last edited by nipsmom13; 05-22-2018 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Grammatical error