Thread: Simplest drip overflow? Think this would work?

Post Thanks / Like

Simplest drip overflow? Think this would work?

Anyone ever just drill a small hole at the top of their tank and push a flanged barb through it and seal with silicone? I found a double sided one I think would work for my small 20 gallon hex. I don't think I want an overflow box and if I added a sponge to the batb on the intake side I think it might work. Take a look at the pic I attached, I think it may be too short but the idea is what is important right now.20180517_143702.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Between the cohesive tension of the water and other debris, chances are that, that small of an overflow will not flow well if at all and will likely clog up in short...

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps a bit of dishsoap to cut down the tanks surface tension then? Click here to enlarge

Well I could upgrade it to a 1/2" with this on the inside (see pic) tubing on the outside to drain. It'd have to be in a bulkhead though or a uniseal I think and they are much larger than one would think at the smaller sizes. Was really hoping to make it as discreet as possible.

I was thinking, if I can't do a small solution like my first idea, about buying a 3" acrylic box for each side, dremel slots for a weir on the inside and connect w a bulkhead or uniseal. Have my main water drain/outlet on the outside with a second one higher up as the drip overflow and backup emergency overflow.

I have not seen plans for this and I will have closed circuit filters down below, not an "open" sump so it would be actively pulling water and I'm not sure that computes with this kind of overflow unless the bulkhead hole is at least 1" and I made the boxes much bigger so there is a larger reserve of water in the box to pull from and it regenerates faster.

Again I want as little equipment showing as possible. It is only an 20 gallon hex too (acrylic) Need ideas. Thx.Click here to enlarge

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk