Post Thanks / Like

garden plants

Some of my garden plants. tobacco
    to 1.jpg
    to 2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet setup.��

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, we might actually be skipping most of our garden this year, just so much on the plate, that something has to give...

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my tobacco plants in a pot.
    toba 1.jpg
    toba 2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, as I thought would happen we skipped most of our garden this year, and what little we did plant was mostly decimated by the ^@#$&#% chipmunks and woodchucks as well as weeds...

Even the kids wildflower garden was mostly a bust this year, the weeds and grass outpaced the flowers, and since it was a wildflower garden we were not really able to discern the flowers from the weeds until it was too late...

On that note, we are already planning for next year, been looking into solar soil sterilization of the garden and flower area to kill everything that is growing and kill any remaining seeds in the upper layer of soil as well, should give us a huge headstart on next season and hopefully reduce our weed problems... From what I'm reading if we till, soak and cover the areas tightly with plastic in the coming weeks and leave it covered for the next 8 weeks of summer/early fall it should give us a nearly weed and seed free area come next spring...

Post Thanks / Like
    We use a till and burn method. Till it and hall in junk wood from brush piles and dry cedar/juniper.. its a bunch of work but it works..Click here to enlarge.iF you get it hot enough...Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HillbillyHomer Click here to enlarge
    We use a till and burn method. Till it and hall in junk wood from brush piles and dry cedar/juniper.. its a bunch of work but it works..Click here to enlarge.iF you get it hot enough...Click here to enlarge
    I actually did that on the flower garden last fall and this spring... Last fall we burned leaves and yard debris over the flower garden and come spring we burned all the straw bedding out of the barn and more yard debris over the flower garden before planting didn't seem to help at all based on the outcome... Albeit we had a really cool and wet spring that was probably more advantageous to local weeds especially the rhizome grasses and such to invade the area before the wildflowers took hold...

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge...First cigar of the year...Click here to enlarge
    cig.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge...First cigar of the year...Click here to enlarge
    cig.jpg
    Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, can't say I know many if any people that grow their own tobacco... Kind of surprising considering the cost of tobacco nowadays and from I hear how easy it is to grow...

Post Thanks / Like
    I learned something here............I never knew that tobacco flowered........the blooms are beautiful. Must be quite a sight to see an entire field covered with these flowering plants.....Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FLDave Click here to enlarge
    I learned something here............I never knew that tobacco flowered........the blooms are beautiful. Must be quite a sight to see an entire field covered with these flowering plants.....Click here to enlarge
    Commercial tobacco growers (and even many hobbyists) cut the flower stalk off before they flower so the plant doesn't waste energy growing flowers and instead uses that energy to grow more leaves up top...

I do agree, it's a pretty and big eye-catching flowering plant... I have read a few gardening forums where people will grow one or two just for the flowers and they claim it gets the most attention from visitors because they have no clue tobacco can be an ornamental flower...

Post Thanks / Like
    i let three or four of the best looking in the field flower out for seed to Replant and Sell.
    For me the hardest part is picking off tobacco worms.(Dam hard to see them)

One thing that surprises many people is how SMALL a tobacco seed is.

P.S. ill post a pic of one on a dime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a blurb, all this talk about these and now I will probably have to consider growing some next year, I really have no interest in the tobacco (OK, to be honest, I might dry some just for kicks, even though I don't smoke, have been known to try a cigar on very, very, very rare occasions) but I would like to see the flowers, as I'm sure my kids would as well...

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge...Tobacco seed on dime...Click here to enlarge
    Tobacco seed on dime.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge...Tobacco seed on dime...Click here to enlarge
    Tobacco seed on dime.jpg
    Click here to enlarge