Thread: Overhead Sump Gurgle

Post Thanks / Like

Overhead Sump Gurgle

Hi All,

I did an overhead planted sump with my 30g tank in my bedroom about a week ago. At first no issues. Then after a couple of days it would gurgle sporadically at the pump to sump connection. The gurgling is now getting longer , louder, and more frequent. How do I fix this? It's starting to keep me up at night.

It's a slow moving system puposefully to allow the water more time in the sump.

Pertinent info: small 200gph power head, 3/8" braided tubing, 3/8" 90 barb to barb at sump intake, 18" planter box, 2 ea 1/2" outflows to tank.Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Air probably getting into the cycle somewhere (a pin hole sized leak).....?

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FLDave Click here to enlarge
    Air probably getting into the cycle somewhere (a pin hole sized leak).....?
    Thanks FLDave, The only place air can get into it is at the 90. I'll try a refit with a straight barb fitting. If the gurgling is getting worse then air leak is getting worse. Bad Juju!

Post Thanks / Like
    Update, Replaced the 90 barb to a straight barb, flow is now way to much. Now gurgling in the tank from out flows. If it's not one thing it's another!

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sloanrd Click here to enlarge
    Update, Replaced the 90 barb to a straight barb, flow is now way to much. Now gurgling in the tank from out flows. If it's not one thing it's another!

Ugh.......Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Ugh.......Click here to enlarge
    Yeah my thoughts exactly. I handled the out flow gurgle by putting an air line down the offending outflow to the first bend! Now on to the flow issue. I'm gonna try and find a 3/8" barb x 3/8" barb gate or ball valve. Let's hope! Off to plumbing supply sure down the street!

Post Thanks / Like
    That was supposed to say store! Stupid autocorrect! Got a 3/8" barbed valve from Lowes! However, it is brass. It's a freshwater tank. Will this be an issue? If so it will be a stop gap until I can find a PVC one or similar.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Update

The site will not allow me to upload photos today for some reason. But the Ball valve and air line seems to have quieted the tank down, so far. Its been running for about two hours and no gurgling from either end! Fingers crossed!

Post Thanks / Like
    The site will not allow me to upload photos today for some reason. But the Ball valve and air line seems to have quieted the tank down, so far. Its been running for about two hours and no gurgling from either end! Fingers crossed!

Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Stupid autocorrect!
    Click here to enlarge...Yep autocorrect not get you in treble...Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Eggsactly! Hillbilly Homer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All, ****Update! The set up has been running for almost a week and is quiet as a mouse with the airline and ball valve. Thanks all. Earlier I had asked if the brass ball valve would be an issue with a fresh water setup. Any thoughts?

The ball valve is above the waterline.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All, ****Update! The set up has been running for almost a week and is quiet as a mouse with the airline and ball valve. Thanks all. Earlier I had asked if the brass ball valve would be an issue with a fresh water setup. Any thoughts?

The ball valve is above the waterline.
    Given a choice, I think I would opt for Stainless Steel in stead of Brass but.....that's just me....Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Given a choice, I think I would opt for Stainless Steel in stead of Brass but.....that's just me....Click here to enlarge
    FLDave, Do you know of any long term ill-effects on my fish using the brass valve? That's really what I'm concerned about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brass (being a Cu Alloy) will begin to leach (zinc) overtime. It may not be a problem with frequent water changes and (as some will point out) is commonly used in feedwater plumbing without issue but, remember that copper tubing is constantly going through water changes........water flow. Personally, with aquarium fish involved, I would opt for SS Fittings....Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Brass (being a Cu Alloy) will begin to leach (zinc) overtime. It may not be a problem with frequent water changes and (as some will point out) is commonly used in feedwater plumbing without issue but, remember that copper tubing is constantly going through water changes........water flow. Personally, with aquarium fish involved, I would opt for SS Fittings....Click here to enlarge
    I've been distracted with the 120g build. I'll start looking for a replacement ASAP. Thanks for the info.