Thread: 220 bracing help

Post Thanks / Like

220 bracing help

I purchased a 220 used for 100 dollars no leaks or anything both braces are cracked off. The tank measure 72 x 24 x 30. From my understanding two 5in x 23.5 inch 12mm thick glass could be siliconed where the old braces were and I should be ok, right? The silicone Iím using is GE SC1200 construction grade silicone. Please help I donít want a swamp wife will kill me

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Sloogan,

My "personal" experience trying to re-brace with glass strips/silicone was not a good one. I was not successful in getting a good enough (one that I felt comfortable with) bond after several attempts. I ended up ordering a new prefab brace from http://www.aquariumframeswholesale.com/ . They were able to furnish a new brace for 100gal tank in about a week at a reasonable $$$.

I'm sure others will make their own recommendations.......just wanted to share mineClick here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    That companies great and all except they don’t make a 72 x 24

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sloogan Click here to enlarge
    That companies great and all except they don’t make a 72 x 24
    Two thoughts.....

Can your size be fabricated by framewholesale as a special order without you having to float a second mortgage to afford?

Have you condisered Euro-Bracing?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t think they make 220 customs it’s 24 wide I’ll try to contact them about it and I have considered eurobracing but I have corner overflows

Post Thanks / Like
    You can make a brace out of acrylic yourself I'd get some 1/4" and cut a bunch of 1" strips then cut those for an exact fit the same way a prefabricated one would be made. I did this when I fused two 25ish gal tanks together into an L shaped 50gal and it's been in place for the last two years without issues. Once done you can paint the brace if you want then silicone it on to the tank. Don't go nuts with silicone on the acrylic it's just a few dabs so it isn't easily knocked off.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sloogan Click here to enlarge
    ...swamp wife will kill me
    That is scary indeed.

I would wait until you've done your aquascape, those braces are annoying, without them so much easier.
    Then maybe consider multiple smaller ones instead of two big ones. If you double-up (four x 3in instead of two x 5in), you'll have the same holding strength, redundancy, and more options for lids.
    Need another great hobby? Try scuba diving!
    Converted to SW in july 2017. 72G fluval w/50g sump - custom DIY stand
    Learned the hard way - clownfish are jerks (even though they are cute)