Thread: Failed acrillic tank

Post Thanks / Like

Failed acrillic tank

I have build (at least tried to) my first acrillic tank, 230cm long, 60cm high and 75 cm deep. When I tried to fill it up it first leaked at a few placed. I fixed the leaks and tried to fill it up again. This time it seemed to do well, when the water level almost reached the top, the back started to leak. I drained it again. The back panel had bended by a few millimeters.

I used 20mm acryllic. I couldn't legally buy any water thin acrillic cement so I went with a thicker one. When I tried to put the back panel in place it first slipped of, so I think I lost to much cement there.

How can I fix this? The rest of the joints seem pretty strong. I don't think I can take them appart again.

Thanks a lot
    Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you get acetone? If so get a glue syringe and load it with acetone and see if you can get that to soak into the seams, be careful as it will scare and discolor the acrylic so you want to make sure it's at the seems only...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I can try that. Thanks to the thick glue the seems are already a mess anyways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Meeps is not kidding! Dont get the acetone anywhere you dont want it and trying to wipe up any dribbles will only make it worse.

i would set the tank up ware the seem you are gluing will flow down in the corners.
    glue glass.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    This worked well, but it still leaks where I put the clamps. I think I have to try one more time to fix this tank...

I started having regrets. I should have had someone to build this for me...

Post Thanks / Like
    If you get it down to just a very small leak (albeit not the best option) you can possibly get some thick bodied 'filler' acrylic glue and make a fillet on the inside of the corner, similar to how silicone is applied to glass tanks...

Post Thanks / Like
    your best bet is getting 1/2 inch acrylic rods and weld the on with weld on 16 all through the tank.
    i just cut 1/2 inch acrylic and reinforced every seam on my first 450 gallon build. no leaks anymore