Thread: Another fish has passed

Post Thanks / Like

Another fish has passed

My halfmoon male betta has died.
    The water is fine. He was eating n everything, was less active the past few weeks which I thought was odd. But no sign of illness, fungus, finrot, Ich... Nothing at all.

I'm not having much luck with betta's. When I was young I had a male and two females in a tank. No filter, no air stone. And they lived for three years! (I know, now Im adult I know that wasn't a nice living environment) but they lived for three years.

I just don't understand why this one died. The tanks filtered, the water parameters are fine, air stone is always on. They plenty of oxygenating plants, water changed regularly. Anyone else experienced sudden death with betta's before? Even though everything else is fine?

I may give up on betta's and try a different species. Click here to enlarge

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it happens... I have been having issues with guppies of all fish, go figure, all I can assume is the stress, conditions and handling prior to me getting them has drastically shortened their lives... I have all but given up on neon tetras as well, can't keep them alive for more than 4 weeks even in tanks that other fish and even other tetras are thriving...

On the Betta front, have you considered getting a juvenile one? We picked up a juvenile one about a year ago now (based on his size when we picked him up he was about 5-6 weeks old) other than the fact we had to buy special micro pellets to feed him because he was so small, and the fact you really don't know how he is going to actually mature and turn out, he has thrived and grown into a very nice looking and thriving adult fish...

Post Thanks / Like
    I gave up on Bettas, both male & female years ago. They never lived any longer than a few months. Once, when I was a kid (about 100yrs ago...), I actually had some success with trying to breed them but since then.....NADA...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm I'll have a think about getting a juvenile male. The reason I haven't in the past I'd because I'm never sure how they'll look when they grow up, I'm a sucka for huge halfmoons with really bright colouring, it's hard to tell how their fins and colour/s will turn out. I'll definitely give it a think though Meep.

That sucks Dave, 100 years of fish keeping must have stripped your bank account bare haha. Myself, I've never tried breeding fighter's. Although I think I did have a pair that were very much ready to breed (bubble nest was made and they displayed pair like behaviour) until the male must have had a rough night, and ripped her to pieces. Perhaps he was more ready than she was... Quite a mess he made unfortunately. I was really upset, would have been great to have got them breeding!

Ive been considering getting killifish instead of another fighter, I love their colouration and patterns, and some of the fins look fantastic. Still unsure though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Black Ghost Click here to enlarge
    Ive been considering getting killifish instead of another fighter, I love their colouration and patterns, and some of the fins look fantastic. Still unsure though.

To be honest with y'all, until last week, I had never heard of killifish but, after doing some research I must say I am intrigued. So many different kind and it looks as though it would be fun hatching/raising them. I might just give it a try.........I'll keep y'all postedClick here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FLDave Click here to enlarge
    To be honest with y'all, until last week, I had never heard of killifish but, after doing some research I must say I am intrigued. So many different kind and it looks as though it would be fun hatching/raising them. I might just give it a try.........I'll keep y'all postedClick here to enlarge
    I have know about them for a fairly long time but never seen them in any of my local fish shops. Until about 2 months ago my regular had some in, they looked absolutely fantastic, stunning colours. I am very very tempted to try killifish out. Maybe not hatching just yet, but definitely getting juveniles and enjoy watching them grow. If I enjoy them I may consider getting another little tank and hatching them. Look forward to hearing from you about your decision Dave. I have a feeling they're going to be a very interesting fish to keep.