Thread: 3D background MacGyver needed

Post Thanks / Like

3D background MacGyver needed

I picked up a background from Universal Rocks for my new turtle tank build. I bought a background that was a little shorter than than the tank to prevent the turtle from using it as a manner of escape. To prevent him from getting behind the background (all equipment is behind the background), I decided on some gutter guard (coated metal) and some sheet metal edge trim to protect the turtle from the sharp edges.
    Where I need help is I'm ideally looking for a way to attach the gutter guard in a non permanent way so I can get to the intakes, heaters, power head, etc if needed. I though suction cups were the way to go but the ones with the metal hooks started to rust after a few days (tank is still empty fyi!) And the larger all plastic suction cups leave a gap.
    Let me know if you have done or seen something similar or any ideas you may have. A fresh perspective is appreciated!Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    You can epoxy neodymium magnets to the gutter guard and affix more of the magnets to the out side of the tank to hold it all in place... Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HillbillyHomer Click here to enlarge
    You can epoxy neodymium magnets to the gutter guard and affix more of the magnets to the out side of the tank to hold it all in place... Click here to enlarge
    I was actually thinking about that the other day at the hardware store... The magnets they had looked like this. I wasn't sure how the metal would react to water or if they would need to be coated in something. Also with 3/4" glass I wasn't sure how they would hold up... But siliconing these into the lip area in the back would be perfectClick here to enlarge

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    You might also consider siliconing on a U or C channel onto the back of the tank creating a near full-length (I would stop about 1" shy of the ends so as to not mess with the existing corner silicone) slit that the screen slides into, drill a few small vertical holes in that channel and drop in a few stainless screws to lock the screen into the channel... If you ever want change it up a little razor work should remove the siliconed channel and because you held it away from the corners a bit not interfere with the corner silicone...

Another alternative is to use some plastic angle or L channel and create a small shelf along the back that screen lays on and again screw the screen to that, a good and cheap candidate for this plastic angle is nail on (skip the adhesive kind) wallpaper corner protector found at most hardware stores... You could of course also use two angles and create a grove like this ╠

https://www.menards.com/main/panel-m...407-c-8166.htm