Thread: Current project almost complete!

Post Thanks / Like

Current project almost complete!

Someday I WILL build my headboard aquarium! Until then this will have to do...

It all started getting 3 tanks off Craigslist for free... 5g countertop, 24g and 37g with stands and miscellaneous gear.

And then I found an Oceanic 75g for free! Plans for that are still up in the air ATM...

So I got the 5 gallon countertop, which is on my countertop, up and running, with some scaping help from the GF. It is home to 7 White Clouds and a few pink Ramshorn snails. No heater, so suggestions for a SMALL bottom dweller would be appreciated.
    5 countertop.jpg

And then I got a smoking deal on a brand new 40g breeder... $40! So I went out and bought a rack and this was the plan...
    rack - 1.jpg

And then the 24 and 37 have been regulated to storage as plans for them were changed, drastically!

Started looking for a 65g with the same footprint as the 40g breeder... and found one for $60!

And this is what we have today!
    20180207_211348.jpg

Beefed up the 3/8" particleboard to 3/4" plywood. Painted them with black enamel. Secured a 2x8 block (shelf) to the wall and the rack to it... and WA LA!

Now to the scaping... Had to find the right stone for the 40g breeder, my "shellie & Julidochromis" tank. Searching and searching, and finally found some holey rock... $200 worth of it... 3 showpieces and a pile of "rubble" with a few larger pieces!
    20180127_205151.jpg

I had plenty of help! He inspected the tank, the build and engineering of the rack. He was also front and center, literally, during the whole scaping.
    20171219_204613.jpg20180107_190643.jpg20180107_190901.jpg20180201_122740.jpg

Searched for weeks for just the right wood for the 65g and picked up some Ohko stone along the way... that stuff ain't cheap either! Found several "stumps" of varying types of wood and came up with the "Stump Field"...
    20180201_100300.jpg

Bought more than a few plants along the way, which lived in a 5g bucket for over a month! Ordered a few other "showpiece" type Anubis and a ton of Buce! And finished up with this!
    65 front.jpg

View from setting on the couch!
    65 end.jpg

And my electrical control center.
    20180207_212732.jpg

GFCI on top is always powered and protects everything else. Large air pump, that never shuts off, is plugged into it.
    Switch/outlet & duplex outlet for each tank. Switch controls the duplex outlet for heater and filter. Easy to turn them off for water changes and then flip it on when refilled. Outlet on switch for the lights that have built-in timers.

The 40g breeder after a few weeks running.
    40 front.jpg

Yes, that is an undergravel filter running under sand! I covered and siliconed the filter plate with weedblock! It's mostly under the rock pile and seems to be working fine!

Now I just need to get over the bio blooms and get cycled! Hopefully I will be ready for new tenants soon, as the local club auction is at the end of March!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hah, saw your posts on Facebook and when the rack pic came I was like ... wait a second this looks familiar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep! That's me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge