Thread: Stand for 125g w/ drilled bottom

Post Thanks / Like

Stand for 125g w/ drilled bottom

Hey Everyone!
    First post here but have been browsing through the forum for a while and probably watched all of Joey's videos a few times. I've had aquariums for as long as I can remember but the one I'm needing help with now is a new to me 125g tank that I will be moving my 10" aquatic turtle into. I've resealed the entire thing, and put in a 3d background from Universal Rocks. I purposely got one that didn't go all the way to the top of the tank so that I could put in a basking area on top of the background.
    The reason for the post is I noticed that I have about a 1" variance in water level when I did my final test fill. (Tank is currently in the garage, tried two different locations to make sure it wasn't the floor). After further inspection and the removal of some trim on the stand, it must have leaked in the past (despite the previous owner's claims) and the wood on low side is rotted out. Glad I found this now instead of shimming the tank and have the bracings fail in the house.
    I've decided for various reasons (mostly the craftsmanship of the stand) to start from scratch. Only problem is, while I like Joey's video's on a DIY stand, my tank has a hole drilled in each corner where I'm running intake bulkheads to my filters, and his design would overlap the openings. Looking for any advice, pictures, etc on a design that will not interfere with the bulkhead and shutoff valves I have built for this tank. Thanks!
    Pics below to show progress. Tank initially was wrapped on 3 sides in blue plexi and had an overflow in each corner.
    20180123_142400.jpg
    20180121_171327.jpg
    20180121_171821.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge...Hello and welcome to Diyfk...Click here to enlarge

Can you post a pic of the bulkhead/shutoff valves in question? Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HillbillyHomer Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge...Hello and welcome to Diyfk...Click here to enlarge

Can you post a pic of the bulkhead/shutoff valves in question? Click here to enlarge
    Sure, see attached. I think I've figured out a solution though. Was trying to figure out a design that would allow me to install this while in place, however if make the stand half an inch deeper I can just place the tank forward on the stand, install plumbing, then move into place without any issues.Click here to enlarge

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge...Ok let us know how it works out...Click here to enlarge

P.S. Nice lookin tank!

Post Thanks / Like
    Stand frame worked out except I have a hump in the 2x4 on the front top... Little pissed about that but I needed another board for cross supports on the bottom so I'll just cut out from that.Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Lookin good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I've made a little bit of progress on this. Previously, none of the corners of the aquarium actually touched the stand. The gaps were slightly visible, but I could only fit a thin sheet of paper between them. After a lot of sanding and moving the tank, and more sanding and more moving (and a sore back)... All 4 corners are now touching! There are a few low spots where I can slide a 2" wide piece of paper between them... But if I fold the paper over (double the width) the paper will not fit. I'm thinking this is close enough.
    My question is, should I put some plywood on top to help even out some of the imperfections/joints of the 2x4s? If so how thick? I want to make sure the plywood will not be crushed by the weight of the tank. Thanks for your help

Post Thanks / Like
    Since this tank has a rim, if you've got it all sanded and the tank trim sitting evenly, adding plywood won't do much for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vanish Click here to enlarge
    Since this tank has a rim, if you've got it all sanded and the tank trim sitting evenly, adding plywood won't do much for you.
    Thanks, I think the plywood was really more for me to not feel so anal about the gaps. Stand is pretty much complete, caulked the seems for a little nicer look and finished painting. Just need to attach the magnets for the doors. I'll do another test fill this weekend and let it run in the garage for a week or so to make sure there are no issues then it's finally time to move it into the house.
    Anyone have a recommendation on how to move it into the exact spot my current tank is in? Best I can figure is move the new tank beside the old, move all the water to the new tank. Move the old out of the way and move the water back, then move the new into place and move the water again... Hoping there is an obvious easier solution I'm missing. Thanks again for everyone's help!Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Couldn't you use inexpensive plastic garbage cans (new of course) as temporary vessels while you move the tanks......?

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FLDave Click here to enlarge
    Couldn't you use inexpensive plastic garbage cans (new of course) as temporary vessels while you move the tanks......?
    Old tank is 75 gallons so I don't think that's an option. I've got an old canister filter that I'm planning on using took pump the water from one tank to another, just a lot of back and forth

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 7eventy5 Click here to enlarge
    Old tank is 75 gallons so I don't think that's an option. I've got an old canister filter that I'm planning on using took pump the water from one tank to another, just a lot of back and forth

I pictured using two/three cans.....would save a ton of work for you IMHO....

Post Thanks / Like
    Just thought I would provide an update. Got everything moved in, doing a few experiments with lighting and plants currently. Thanks for everyone's help!Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge