Thread: Stainless Steel Mesh

Post Thanks / Like

Stainless Steel Mesh

Do you think this is safe?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4RCHFU...&pd_rd_w=Zb1AV

If not do you know of a good mesh for a 20L's footprint that I can use for either xmas or Java moss?

I'm considering using that for fry protection... that way I should be able to keep my aquarium substrateless so I can just pull the mesh out to clean the bottom when needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's alright but stupid expensive...

If you want a cheap mesh get some plastic canvas, and weight it down with some gravel or stainless steel washers here and there...

Or just tie the moss to a faux or real piece of driftwood or rock with thread and let it go hog wild, it should explode like a Chia Pet in short...

I personally would not try to cover the entire bottom instead cut the mesh into a snake-like or zig-zag shape or whatever and let the moss fill in the voids with a little open space... The java moss in my guppy tank is so dense in most areas it's almost useless for fry, the fry have to stick to the fringes of it, so edges are a good thing vs a solid carpet, IMO.

http://www.joann.com/plastic-canvas-...n/1419506.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I can do that, I didnt realize it would get that thick... do you think xmas moss would be better? assuming I have enough light for it anyway

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trachr Click here to enlarge
    I can do that, I didnt realize it would get that thick... do you think xmas moss would be better? assuming I have enough light for it anyway
    I have little experience with x-mas moss, the stuff I purchased never took off and I have yet to purchase anymore, the java moss, on the other hand, is going hog wild, and after give or take 6-8 months it already needs a serious trimming back and is probably 10 times the mass it was when I purchased it.

Post Thanks / Like
    another random plant question for ya... andit may or may not happen

lets say I decide I love plants and decide to install another PVC line around my room for CO2 so 1 large tank to provide for my whole room.... when I refit some of my stands for the CO2 PVC would each tank need a bubble counter do you think? I have too many stands to have tubes running all over the place from 1 or 2 CO2 tanks so Id really need to plan it out like I did my Air and Water lines.... unless I decided only on using 1 or 2 tanks for CO2 and lets be honest... I can never stop at 1 or 2 tanks Click here to enlarge

Having said that I know the moss wont need CO2 Im just thinking ahead, I'll be doing a large project come this spring so if I want to do a major fish room rework that would be the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    You would want a bubble counter for each tank so that you can properly adjust the CO2 for that tank... You also technically need on/off valves in the system as you don't want to wast CO2 when the lights are out...

I have never liked the idea of using common PVC pipe for pressurized gasses (yeah I know it will work) I have seen the stuff get brittle and fail (especially when exposed to UV lights, like plant grow lights or the sun) too many times to trust it over the long run... I would twist iron pipe or use copper just be mindful of the PSI and make sure your CO2 tank is regulated at a low psi into the pipe...

Another option is to get a bottom tap large CO2 tank (you can also invert a top tap tank) a bunch of smaller paintball CO2 tanks, and a refill hose assembly, then use individual small tanks of CO2 for each fish tank, a little more maintenance, but less plumbing running around... That was my plan but it's on indefinite hold...

Post Thanks / Like
    Ty ill keep that in mind.

To get even furthur off topic, do you know if discus are plant friendly... i know what google says, just curious if you have any expierience. My spring summer project is to set up a breeding setup... not for money really, more for the expierience... im gonna link my 2 125 tanks, add to that dual stand a couple more tanks... maybe 29s... for breeding pairs.... and link those tanks into the system as well.... anyway yeah i digress but basically while its still on the drawing board im deciding if any of those tanks could ever need co2 in the future.

Currently im heavily leaning to no simply because a bare bottom tank is easier to keep clean which i believe is critical for discus.... ive bred a lot of fish but from what im learning this will take it to a new level for needing exact water conditions.

So beyond this question expect my questions to increase as we get closer to spring lol... i always like to pick your brain before major projects.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about using a line like for an ice maker for the CO2? Poly line is easy to work with and plenty of fitting types...

25' x 1/4" poly ice maker kit

500' x 1/4" poly irrigation tubing
    Also shows tons of fittings...

Post Thanks / Like
    they would be easy to fit into existing stands too... I'll look into that as well.

Out of curiosity what is the max distance you would want between tank and bubble counter do you think? I mean could you have say a main CO2 line running to a stand then you set up a manifold for instance that splits it off say 4-6 ways each with a valve and a counter, then run small poly line from the counter to the tanks...

or for that matter could you set up a manifold that covers half the room but has double or even triple the distance the stand specific manifold would have....

Also in my air line it doesnt matter if I spring a leak really since I over produce anyway... in fact I have a relief valve that leaks air constantly so I wasnt overly concerned.... I dont THINK I have a leak but still I never really cared too much to care if I did have a tiny one.

If I did do copper or irrigation line or something for CO2 is there a way to monitor for a leak? obviously I know I can do soapy water on each connector and watch for bubbles but over the long haul if I set up a pressure guage at the end of the line and monitor its pressure say once a week and see if I get small drops in pressure... do you think that would be the only semi feasible way to watch for leaks?

I see a hundred different difficulties with doing it that way so perhaps there just isn't a practical way... but it never hurts to ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    To test for leaks you put a pressure gauge on it, cap all ends and pressurize it to say 30-60 PSI then monitor it for 24-72 hours if the PSI doesn't drop you don't have a leak...

Also in my air line it doesnt matter if I spring a leak really since I over produce anyway... in fact I have a relief valve that leaks air constantly so I wasnt overly concerned....
    If you plan to have multiple CO2 tanks it's really foolish to keep producing your own CO2, first you don't have a steady pressure so bubble counters are inaccurate and could lead to disaster, all the CO2 produced at night when CO2 dosing should be shut off would be wasted unless you have a way to capture it, and it's simply not economical to produce over buying bottled CO2...

Distance between the bubble counter and the tank really doesn't matter as long as there are no leaks...

As for the rest there are all sorts of configurations, refrigerator line is commonly used for CO2 setups

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I was referring to my Air pump air line... Ive never plumbed any gas lines other than usual air lines to run my spounge filters and air stones and whatever else strikes my fancy.... all I was saying on that line if I have a small leak it doesn't really matter much

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trachr Click here to enlarge
    Sorry I was referring to my Air pump air line... Ive never plumbed any gas lines other than usual air lines to run my spounge filters and air stones and whatever else strikes my fancy.... all I was saying on that line if I have a small leak it doesn't really matter much
    Yeah for airlines a small leak won't matter, but for CO2 a small link could easily cost you quite a lot over time or even over a short period...