Thread: Classified Sales...

Post Thanks / Like

Classified Sales...

Figured as a companion thread to my Ebay gripe thread...

I wonder WTF people post things on Craigslist, Letgo, OfferUp or whatever classified site then...

• Don't respond to emails or text at all when you try to reply to their sale posting
    • Respond right away when you ask if it's still available, then stop responding to any follow up
    • Respond right away and are all chatty until you ask them what is a good time for you to come out and buy it, then they go silent
    • Respond and say tomorrow at noon would be great then never give you an address and stop replying back ever time you ask for an address
    • Don't want you to come to their house to pick it up and don't know where they would feel safe meeting you to sell it
    • Respond back with the answer to every question you didn't ask about the item, while completely ingnoring what you actually did ask about, even when you ask a second or third time

I have had so many of the above lately, 3 this weekend alone, while trying to buy 30 bales of hay... Two people never responded at all to text and emails, the 3rd responded back within seconds to my first text when I asked the composition of the hay, then went silent and won't respond to anymore text trying to setup a time to buy the hay...

Just had to gripe as I had to go to the local feed store and pay a premium for a few bales of hay, as a stop gap while I attempt to find a local farmer that actually wants to sell the hay they have up for sale...

Post Thanks / Like
    I've all but abandoned CL.......got tired of most of what you have listed above........plus all the scammers wanting to send me $$$ + some extra for my time on rubber checks......Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    It seem s lately everyone in my area is asking ridiculous prices for their aquariums and equipment. And they get insulted when you offer them what you believe is a fair price. Do they really think that tanks and equipment hold their value like that? Many of my friends know I am an aquarium nut and I get calls fairly often from folks wanting to give me tanks and or equipment (much to my wife's chagrin), lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scammers,liars,ridiculous prices

Had one guy back out of a deal on tractor. Seen him and the tractor at an equipment auction shortly after. Short story shorter i got it for $300 and not the $2000 we had previously agreed on.

Click here to enlarge...He Was Pissed...Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah there is a lot of the 'get rich' from their junk people on CL as well that is really annoying...

I have been looking for another table saw to setup as a dedicated dado blade saw for cutting beehive box joints, I really like older 50s/60s era shop fixture power tools, especially since they can generally be had for chump change, or even free when people clean out 'grandpas' garage also they are arguably better made than new even high end 'homeowner grade' stuff... But, lately everyone in my immediate area seems to thing they are antique collectors items and are pricing them at stupid high prices... If I extend my search out about an hour or two they can be had for $40 - $75 all day long as people just want to get rid of them, but in my immediate area everyone wants hundreds even when they are in horrible condition, broken or missing parts...

There is one I have been watching for probably 4 months now, I have offered him 80% of his asking price (more than I really want to pay even at that offer) multiple times and he either ignores the offer or says it's the price is not negotable...

Had another one that was the right price, and the guy was all chatty, told me he was retired and I could come out anytime to buy it, but (see above) everytime I tried to setup a time see it and asked his address the guy never responded...

I really wish I had enough fluid money to hit up some of the local equipment auctions, I really want a small skid steer, another item people seem to think are made of gold on CL, while I know they sell for substantially less at auction, especially the older/smaller ones...

Post Thanks / Like
    On Thursday I phoned and left a message at an apiary (they have a full blown website store as well) that is doing a bulk order of bee nucs for this spring on Craigslist. I told them I was interested in 4 nucs for a total of nearly $600 and they apparently can't even be bothered with returning my phone call Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge...i would start lookin elsewhere...Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HillbillyHomer Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge...i would start lookin elsewhere...Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, pretty much where I'm at, this place was a two hour drive away so not exactly local and if they can't return phone calls that is even more disappointing...

As luck would have it, tonight while browsing Craigslist I came across another seller that has farms in Wisconsin and Florida... He will be bringing back a semi full of hives to his Wisconsin farm at the end of April and while he is en route he will be making several stops on the way and selling nucs off the truck, one of his stops is literally at the Walmart 10 minutes down the road from me, you can't be much more convenient than that... Albeit they are more costly but they are a Buckfast strain of bees, so they should be able to better handle the weather up here...

And this 'new' guy allows you to put the deposit down on their website, so that is a plus and a lot less hassle... Ironically I was just visiting their site earlier this week, while browsing local apiaries that popped in Google...

Post Thanks / Like
    Back to my original dilemma trying to buy some hay, I swung by the local feed store to pick up some bales as a stop gap since no one is getting back to me. I had already swung by the feed store on Friday for some stop gap bales of alfalfa mix as well and they had two full to the top hay wagons, today they were sold out of the alfalfa mix and only had some regular grass hay... It was closing time so everyone was hanging around getting ready to close down so we started to chat apparently I'm not alone in being ignored trying to buy hay, as they can't keep it in stock as no one else is able to find sellers either... They said that even they are having a hard time buying it this year from their normal local farmers/suppliers, and are now driving 3+ miles away (into Wisconsin) to secure it, and might be forced to ship it in from out of state in the coming weeks... They also griped that as soon as the farmers find out they are a feed store the price jumps $1 or $2 a bale over the advertised price, just because they know the feed store will pay it...

Generally, my area is flooded with local hay and local farmers are pretty much begging you to buy it from them and not the other guy, it's a strange year...

Anyway, I'm expanding my radius and calling another farm this afternoon and seeing if they actually answer the phone and get back to me... Usually, this time of year I have no problem finding hay as everyone wants to be the first to empty their barns before the market is flooded with everyone emptying their barns come spring...

Post Thanks / Like
    You are bringing back memories of my youth. I bucked many bales back then. Good hard honest work. I think every young person should get that experience. It builds character. At least that's what the farmer that barely paid us told us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by daFrimpster Click here to enlarge
    I bucked many bales back then. Good hard honest work. I think every young person should get that experience. It builds character. At least that's what the farmer that barely paid us told us.
    I agree, nothing wrong with gold old honest farm work...

Anyway, I finally got a Craigslist seller to call me back, he was even prompt with the callback and was more than happy to have me come right out and get that hay ASAP, he said he has about 1000 extra bales to unload so I told him to get in contact with the local feed store (he said he used to sell to them about three years ago but hasn't recently) so maybe I did my good deed for the day hooking up a supplier with a buyer...