Thread: Beekeeping

Post Thanks / Like

Beekeeping

I know in another thread HillbillyHomer expresed some interest in beekeeping, anyone else into it?

I just reserved 4 nucs, and I'm in the process of building about 24 swarm traps...

I have already secured at least a dozen locations (in addition to my property) to setup the swarm traps and my hope (maybe optimistic, but no unrealistic based on research) is to have 15-20 additional hives before year end from those swarm traps...

I also have secured 2 other large plots of rural land (7 and 15 miles away) to put hives on if I need to spread them out more then my property, due to low nectar flow in the area, both locations are prime and close to out of operation apple orchards, one of those locations is also surrounded on 3 sides by several hundred acres of forest preserve where a focus to plant and bring back native wildflowers has been going on for several years... I also have hundreds of acres of the same 'restore the native wildflowers' forest preserves about a mile down the road from me, and although there are some domestic beehives in the area, they are few and far between...

Now I have to turn my focus on making a boat load of DIY hives and frames in the next 2 months, very labor intensive but every dime out of pocket saved is important right now as builiding this many hives is a huge investment... I'm honestly looking forward to spending some long days in the barn/garage doing wood work, it's something I really enjoy but don't do enough of anymore...

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of hives do you plan on using?

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HillbillyHomer Click here to enlarge
    What kind of hives do you plan on using?
    Traditional Langstroth, as it allows the most flexability in scaling both up and down, I can start with only one box for each hive and stack more on top as needed and then pull them back off as honey is harvested and unused boxes can be instantly converted to to new hives as needed...

Plus the swarm traps and nucs are Langstroth campadible as well, and most honey extracting spinners are designed for Langstroth frames...

I know you had talked about the horizontal top-bar, but I really feel the universality of the Langstroth really wins out for me... I don't plan to make a living out of the bees, but I certainly plan to make some part time money to recoup cost selling honey, so I'm trying to plan ahead especially as the number of hives needed to actually make any noticible money with honey is kinda high...

Post Thanks / Like
    Bees are way out of my knowledge base but something I am interested in. I'll be checking back to this thread in case you update it. I am a woodworker though so that part definitely peeked my interest.

My grandfather kept bees and I would help him collect honey. I remember very little about it though.

Good luck in your venture!

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sasquatch Click here to enlarge
    Bees are way out of my knowledge base
    I have been reading many books and watching more Youtube videos than I care to admit over the last 2 years... The same is constantly repeated, bees know what they are doing, you just need to give them a nudge in the right direction for your own convenience. I'm sure that since I have not actually done it there are a million quirks I will encounter, but with the Internet and plethora of information available at my fingertips I will overcome any issues... The thing that I'm sure will nag on me is when a hive dies off this happens even if you everything right, winter losses in my area are 30-70% that alone is daunting, combine that with CCD (colony collapse disorder) where a hive just dies off for not apparent reason, and I'm sure there will be frustrating times...