Thread: Cleaning sand in a aquarium?

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning sand in a aquarium?

Hi I'm not new to the hobby however I am new to sand. What is the best way to clean sand when I do water changes? With gravel I've always used a gravel cleaner syphon. Am I right in thinking that this would probably just suck up my sand if I used the same technique?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    About 30 minutes before a water change I take a wave maker and use it like a leaf blower to stir the sand up and then let the filter do the rest, then obviously the filter needs to be cleaned of all the excess debris... If you have a hang on back filter you might need to take it off afterwards and rinse out any sand as the sand stirred up can create some chaos with the impeller...

Also note this works for me because I never let the sand get that dirty, if it's horribly dirty doing this might cause issues for the fish...

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Meep Click here to enlarge
    About 30 minutes before a water change I take a wave maker and use it like a leaf blower to stir the sand up and then let the filter do the rest, then obviously the filter needs to be cleaned of all the excess debris... If you have a hang on back filter you might need to take it off afterwards and rinse out any sand as the sand stirred up can create some chaos with the impeller...

Also note this works for me because I never let the sand get that dirty, if it's horribly dirty doing this might cause issues for the fish...
    Thanks Meep! I'll bare this in mind. This tank is only going to include a male betta and a possibly a butterfly pleco. So hopefully the sand won't get to dirty.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk